• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential service pit

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I can't find any guidance of vehicle service pits in residential garages, but I feel like the hazards need to be addressed in some way. The IBC has a general provision for guards then exempts service pits where not open to the public. Makes perfect sense. There is no exemption in the IRC. Obviously you can't guard these, but they do present a fall hazard to occupants, and specifically children. MOE out of the 6' deep pit is also not addressed in the IRC, but is in the IBC. Fume accumulation is addressed by the IMC, but not the IRC. They are considered a hazardous location by the NEC if a "commercial" garage. The IPC has provisions for oil collection and separation but that is not applicable to the IRC. I stipulate that the residential "hobby" pit wouldn't need the kind of protections for some of these issues that a commercial pit would based solely on volume but some of the hazards may be even more real as a person could be stuck in one, overcome by fumes and nobody is around. Children and guests could also be at risk of falling while the adults are not around. Is there some common sense provisions to be applied for this? A cover when not in use, ventilation? Steps or ladder? Wiring methods? I hate to beat on a homeowner but seems like there should be some safeguards here. Anybody dealt with this before?

Have seen some fancy garages

Non with a lub pit

Have seen one with storm shelter, built into the garage floor

If it is not addressed by the IRC, then follow the IBC.

Fall hazard can be mitigated by a net (this is commonly done at commercial lube stations).
MOE could be via stairs or a ships ladder.
Fume control should be addressed under the IMC.

Guess a question

With a pit,,,, How do they meet this

406.3.3 Garage Floor Surfaces

Garage floor surfaces shall be of approved noncombustible material. The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway

If it is not addressed by the IRC, then follow the IBC.

Fall hazard can be mitigated by a net (this is commonly done at commercial lube stations).
MOE could be via stairs or a ships ladder.
Fume control should be addressed under the IMC.
Yep, made all those comments but appreciate the validation.

If we can use the IBC for this as a commercial repair garage we should be able to use the IBC for a AirBud house.

So you will require a sprinkler system in the house per IBC 406.8.6 required for repair garages and all the requirements in the NEC? I think you need to use all the sections required for a repair garage not just certain ones.

I know using the IBC is selective but I look at it this way: The IRC is prescriptive, and if there are elements in the design of a house that are not covered by the prescriptive code I can go to the IBC for guidance. Service pits are not covered by the IRC so I am going to the IBC to provide a reasonable, minimum level of safety. Our FD is also looking at it the same way, with provisions from the IFC that apply to all occupancies. This is a case where I believe there is a risk to the health and safety of the occupants not accounted for in the IRC and am applying IBC restrictions to mitigate them. I am not classifying it as a repair garage with all of the IBC requirements, I am applying the codes specific to pits that I think will provide a basic protection. I have noted that the wiring needs to comply with NEC 511 even though it may not be a "commercial garage", I confirmed that with the electrical supervisor. If the owner/designer do not agree they will tell me why and it can bump up to the next level.

As far as whether it is a repair garage for fee, that is a zoning issue that they should be looking into as well. However, my belief is that the owner would deny it and call it personal use.

There is no reason to require anything other than a guard for a residential pit. The danger is minimal, and the occasion when they are installed is so rare that any regulations for them don't warrant inclusion in the code(s). We shouldn't/don't have to get involved in everything. Require a guard via 312.1.1 if the pit is 30" or deeper, but that's it.

Seriously - his wife is going to make him either cover it with a sheet of steel or put up a guard of some type anyway.

Leave it alone, and let the guy work on his cars.

How does a hole in the garage floor comply with this:::

Garage floor surfaces shall be of approved noncombustible material. The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway

Nope ... too much risk to leave it alone. I think sifu has the right strategy in post #9.

The guard, which is within the code to require, eliminates any actual risk the pit creates. Require the guard, sign off that it's there at the final, and roll on.

There are many multitudes of things that are not in the code that people do to and/or in their houses that are risky. We don't have any business trying to regulate them all.

Every maintenance pit I've ever seen is poured into the floor - concrete walls and a concrete bottom. There's either a sump pit poured into the pit floor or, more often, a dedicated cheap sump pump hooked to a garden hose that lives close to the pit - if/when there's water, garden hose goes out garage door, pump is lowered into hole, and plugged in until the water is gone.

The guard, which is within the code to require, eliminates any actual risk the pit creates. Require the guard, sign off that it's there at the final, and roll on.

There are many multitudes of things that are not in the code that people do to and/or in their houses that are risky. We don't have any business trying to regulate them all.
I think i agree with this. A metal grate over the pit would be all I would require of the "homeowner" (I think)

How about the elephant in the room:::

How about the elephant in the room:::

You've asked several times...

How doesn't it?

You slope the main floor to the door. The pit you add a drain (most likely with a sump pump). What's the issue?

I have considered the drain issue in the pit itself. A sump would be the best path but think it less of a problem than getting in and out of the 6' deep pit, becoming overwhelmed by fumes, explosion and a fall hazard. I am still waiting on the fire department to weigh in. The remainder of the floor is sloped in this 4 bay garage.

I can't live with the idea that a completely unaware hobbyist may be putting himself or others in danger in this 6' deep pit. I don't know if they have considered the risk of fumes, explosion or falling. That's is kind of what they pay us for isn't it?