• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential service weatherhead.

steveray

SAWHORSE
For the electrically gifted in the room...is there a certain angle...or requirement of a listing that says that a service weatherhead can only be installed "X" amount of an angle off of plumb? In other words if it runs up the rake of a roof, what is the minimum pitch that the roof has to be so that you can install it parallel to the roof line?

Thanks in advance!

I've installed w'heads on horizontal risers. So I'd say 90°, but I doubt you'll find documentation of that number.

steveray,

Don't know about the amount of degree offset [ the angle ] of the

weatherhead itself, as long as the minimum amount of clearances

are adhered to would be my objective ( see Article 230.24 in the

`08 NEC, see Exception # 3 & # 4 ). Hope this helps! :)

Ooooops! No, I do not know the amount of offset!

Last edited by a moderator:
480sparky said:
Well, there is 110.12............
Yes there is. :D

The NEC style manual lists "Workmanlike" as a possible vague and unenforceable term. ;) :)

So how far out of plumb can you be and still have a workmanlike installation? :)

Chris

raider1 said:
..........So how far out of plumb can you be and still have a workmanlike installation? :) Chris
Depends on how far out of plumb the building is.

I once installed a 3" riser on a 3-story apartment building. Used a level to make sure it was plumb. Went to leave at the end of the day, and stood back and looked at it. It looked like crap.

Entire building was leaning a good 3° to starboard. So I redid the riser to match it. Not plumb, but it looked a whole lot better!

just like trying to install vertical wall paper on an out of plumb out of square wall.. looks better to follow what's there.. and it's not in the code

Thanks every one for the input!

I was more concerned about the weatherhead. At what point does it start catching water instead of protecting from it? With a conduit setup it seems that you can rotate the weather head to help shed water, but most of the services I see are SE cable into the bottom of one of the squarish weatherheads. It seems as though at some point it might start retaining water.....all of the electricians here that I have asked don't have an answer, so I figured I would put it out to the most informed group I know!

Keep Smilin!