• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Swimming Pools

globe trekker

How would ya'll classify a "new" Residential In-ground Swimming Pool being built

at an existing residence, or would you classify it at all? A Type "U", or...

Thanks! :)

Hmmmm.....a bit odd to me.......since IRC residential structures don't really have an occupancy classification themselves........... call it a U and move on I guess.

globe trekker said:
How would ya'll classify a "new" Residential In-ground Swimming Pool being builtat an existing residence, or would you classify it at all? A Type "U", or...

Thanks! :)

If you must classify then I would call it a "U". It is afterall an "accessory structure". My thoughts for this statement are that there will be electrical and concrete work done along with the grading, permits are required therefor it becomes a "U" occupancy.

Sue, where the west still lives.........

Hi globe trekker, has the person requiring you to assign a classification said why? The reason I ask is that (as fatboy said) residential structures are not classified in the IRC as they are in the IBC.

I would go along with a U... and besides a U almost has the same shape as a pool, or a coffee cup U°.

Something along the lines of "a Residential, accessory use, below ground structure,

but nothing defined in the IRC" thingy. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case I would just go with a "U" classification - that covers anything that falls under miscellaneous -

Accessory structure...

R101.2 Scope. The provisions of the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures.

Don't see 'U' anywhere in there.

The would be a "WSS"

I think I would go with a mixed use occupancy if there are many occupants it would be an A5, if any of the occupants were sleepy on a floating thing it would be an R, if they talked business it would be a B.

How about creating a new mixed use occupancy P= Private Facility, O=Operation, O=Outside, L=Lake like, POOL.