• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Resiliency Challenges Amidst Natural Disasters

jar546

Forum Coordinator
A recent survey conducted by The Harris Poll on behalf of the American Property Casualty Insurance Association (APCIA) found that nearly three-quarters (74%) of homeowners encounter obstacles when trying to bolster their homes’ resilience against natural disasters.

Recent devastating natural catastrophes underscore the importance of mitigation and resiliency for homeowners and business proprietors in safeguarding their properties from the hefty impact of natural disasters. According to the survey, the primary hurdle is perceived as financial, with 46% citing cost as a significant barrier. Additionally, 20% either lack knowledge about where to commence or what steps to take.

Other key survey findings include:
  • 85% of homeowners support the adoption of the latest building codes by their communities to ensure new constructions meet stringent disaster-resilient standards.
  • 75% of homeowners are willing to upgrade certain home materials to meet building code standards, enhancing their properties' resilience.
  • 80% of homeowners support efforts to restrict development in storm/wildfire-prone areas to curb rebuilding and repair costs.
The survey also disclosed that incentives most helpful to homeowners in overcoming cost concerns for bolstering home resiliency included reduced costs for updated materials through sales or income tax credits or rebates (26%), lower insurance premiums via discounts (22%), reduced property taxes (21%), and financial aid such as low-interest home improvement loans or federal/state grants (19%).

The role of insurance in the face of worsening natural disasters

The surge in extreme weather events, intensifying wildfires, rising sea levels, and increased natural disaster losses also underscore the critical need for proactive action to enhance resilience and mitigate risks. Population growth in hazard-prone regions amplifies climate change's impact, emphasizing the urgency to enforce stronger building codes and focus on robust community planning to minimize risks and ensure long-term resilience against climate-induced disasters.

The APCIA noted that insurers are continuously investing in advanced tools and technology to enhance climate risk and natural disaster mapping and modeling. They also actively support safety research through the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) to devise practical solutions for consumers and communities. IBHS offers cost-effective suggestions to prepare homes for various natural disasters, encompassing actions such as roof inspection, gutter maintenance, sealing gaps, and appropriate landscaping to mitigate risks.

“There are effective ways to reduce the risk of damage from natural disasters to your home or business no matter what your budget is,” said Karen Collins, APCIA property and environment vice president. “Millions of people are increasingly at risk for natural disasters as more communities are built in hazard-prone regions and communities face the intensifying impacts of climate change, so it is incredibly important for homeowners, communities, and policymakers to make resiliency and mitigation a top priority.

“Communities must begin to adapt to growing climate impacts now by adopting and enforcing stronger building codes in high-risk areas and focusing on better community planning. Reducing our risk must continue to be a shared priority, and we must work together to adapt and increase our resiliency in the face of climate-fueled disasters,” Collins said.

Compliance with building codes, even enhanced building codes will not protect you from all damage from natural disasters.

If you want to reduce your risk you will be more effective if you focus on the location and configuration of the building. Building codes are limited in their ability to limit the risk associated with poor design decisions.

Compliance with building codes, even enhanced building codes will not protect you from all damage from natural disasters.

If you want to reduce your risk you will be more effective if you focus on the location and configuration of the building. Building codes are limited in their ability to limit the risk associated with poor design decisions.
In my area, for example, buildings must be designed based on their wind exposure per ASCE 7 (wherever allowed per P&Z). Are you suggesting that ASCE 7 would be better utilized to determine where a building can be constructed? That would make sense.

For example:
No more construction in Exposure C & D areas.
No more construction in special flood hazard areas

I think that a lot of people will say they agree with these limits in a poll, but will scream if these limits mean they can't afford to build or buy a home.

Why should the entire population subsidize those people that choose to live where it could all go up in smoke? Private insurance should drive the demand.

I live on the edge of the Cleveland National Forest. I didn’t know that there was a Cleveland National Forest until our insurance company canceled us. We pay extra.

If you own in a flood zone, hurricane zone, tornado alley…. You need to pay more. Look to Florida where the average HO insurance policy is $6000 and the corporations want out. Earthquake insurance is expensive with a $50K deductible… but all of California should be required to have it.

I would be so pleased if the building codes had caused our home to be fire and earthquake proof… I could cancel the insurance. Wait a minute… insurance is the richest enterprise on planet Earth… they’ll never let that happen.

Last edited:
If your hand is on fire do you put on a glove or take your hand out of the woodstove? As long as you are not asking me to pay for it, I don't care.....