• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Respect Electricity

jar546

Forum Coordinator
At 8:31 a.m. on July 25, 2022, an employee was attempting to remove lighting fix tures in a maintenance room on the first floor of the airport parking garage of the Charlotte Douglas Airport, Charlotte, NC. While attempting to identify the wiring path to the lights in order to locate the supporting circuit breaker in o rder to deenergize the electrical circuit, the employee contacted the live condu ctor(s) and was electrocuted. As a result, the employee became the path to groun d for the electrical current that was not disconnected before attempting to remo ve and or replace the light fixture. The employee was found unresponsive at the scene by other workers in the area, and the immediate cause of death was electrocution.

Why not just put all of these into the same thread? I know you (Jar) want to build up the electrical side of the forum, but this is a bit spammy for those of us who are not on the electrical side.

Why not just put all of these into the same thread? I know you (Jar) want to build up the electrical side of the forum, but this is a bit spammy for those of us who are not on the electrical side.
Because as people post replies, the new stuff gets lost and many won't read a thread with 1,000 posts.

Because as people post replies, the new stuff gets lost and many won't read a thread with 1,000 posts.
Nope, I get that... just saying that if you clog this up with electrical posts, folks like me will be less active around here. It's putting me off already.

If it were educational, I'd get it. But just reposting blips like this, it is not promoting code knowledge - it is just fearmongering.

Nope, I get that... just saying that if you clog this up with electrical posts, folks like me will be less active around here. It's putting me off already.

If it were educational, I'd get it. But just reposting blips like this, it is not promoting code knowledge - it is just fearmongering.
I respectfully disagree that it is fear-mongering. You may not like it, but I want to make a point not to become complacent. I won't post any more safety stuff.

Thanks e hilton. I think you got what I was saying. And if there was discussion, perhaps I would agree that Jar's method was intended to prevent sidetracking. But in reality, these posts are not building any discussion, particularly discussion about safe practices or code compliance.

Jar - post all the safety stuff you can. I am all for that. But what I was commenting on was not safety information - it was the opposite. If your intent is safety, provide educational material that speaks towards how to work safely. But clogging up the forum with brief, minimal context retellings of deadly accidents is not going to teach anyone anything. It will only deliberately arouse public fear or alarm about a particular issue - which is the definition of fearmongering.

A common theme to the OSHA accident reports is an apparent lack of experience on the part of the victim. In this example the workman was removing a light fixture without first knowing whick breaker to open. When you see the words"found unconscious" you know that the person was working alone.