• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Restaurant Cooler Rating

LFraz12

I have a restaurant and commercial kitchen, both classified as A-2 occupancy, that is adjacent to a warehouse, classified as S-2. There is a cooler/freezer that is attached to both.. where stock is moved to/from the warehouse and to/from the kitchen so achieving a fire rating is feeling tricky...does anyone have any experience rating a walk in cooler/freezer?

I have a restaurant and commercial kitchen, both classified as A-2 occupancy, that is adjacent to a warehouse, classified as S-2. There is a cooler/freezer that is attached to both.. where stock is moved to/from the warehouse and to/from the kitchen so achieving a fire rating is feeling tricky...does anyone have any experience rating a walk in cooler/freezer?

Welcome,

Just a note, this is a building code question.

Maybe the moderator will bump it to that thread, but you should still get answers here.

Depends on what is made out of

Seen foam

Seen concrete brick.

Post a simple floor plan.

l
What rating do you think you need?

Last edited:
513eb9278d956414e23aa8b6fa23c421.jpg

The cooler is made from class 1, rigid urethane foam system. Originally I was thinking the coolers were supplemental to the kitchen, classifying them as A-2. They could also be supplemental to the warehouse, but between A-2 occupancy and S-2, we need a 1-hr separation per 508.4

513eb9278d956414e23aa8b6fa23c421.jpg

The cooler is made from class 1, rigid urethane foam system. Originally I was thinking the coolers were supplemental to the kitchen, classifying them as A-2. They could also be supplemental to the warehouse, but between A-2 occupancy and S-2, we need a 1-hr separation per 508.4

Ok there are very little true S-2’ss

I would challenge the call, if I were reviewing it.

Plus S-1 solves your problem???

We have an M occupancy on the other side of the first floor, attached to the warehouse with coolers similar to the setup we have for the kitchen. We spoke with the city, and he said he'd look at the warehouse as S-2, so we wouldn't need a separation between the M (store) and the warehouse

We have an M occupancy on the other side of the first floor, attached to the warehouse with coolers similar to the setup we have for the kitchen. We spoke with the city, and he said he'd look at the warehouse as S-2, so we wouldn't need a separation between the M (store) and the warehouse

Call it a S-1,,, doesn't that solve the problem???????????

What year edition code is this designed to?

95434e117398cd914f450ef196a642ab.jpg

c7ad9cac176685a25d276abd766c8189.jpg

If we changed the warehouse to an S-1 occupancy, we'd run into the same condition where we'd need a 1HR rating between M occupancy and S-1, where we have a similar cooler/freezer condition that attaches to both spaces.
We're working in the 2018 IBC

I know in the 2021 they filled in all the boxes, for the hard of matrix people

My bad, I was looking at it sideways,, You are right S-1 is one hour.

I would still argue you are not a S-2

So back to your original question,

My next fall back is IBC 722, just have to kind of find what fits.

To equal one hour.

Or build a one hour wall on one side of the face of the coolers.

So we can put in a rated stud wall around the cooler, but we have doors into the cooler from both the warehouse and the kitchen. We can use a rated cooler door, but we can't have a true 1 hr rating as the walls to the cooler aren't rated and we need an opening for the cooler doors.

So we can put in a rated stud wall around the cooler, but we have doors into the cooler from both the warehouse and the kitchen. We can use a rated cooler door, but we can't have a true 1 hr rating as the walls to the cooler aren't rated and we need an opening for the cooler doors.

You only need the rating on one side.

Can you meet it using 722??

Could add a rated swing door on side not used as much

Or rated overhead door

Have you looked at non separated??

Do you already have the construction type??