• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Restaurant Occupant Load

Phil C

Hello, Can a restaurant have two separate occupant loads? It is my understanding that the fire department makes a determination based on dinning areas and/or bars/ load factors and does not include back of house/kitchen? Then a separate occupant load including all spaces which is typically done to figure egress and determine if it can be a business use (50 or less occupants per IBC 303.1.2). Which is the crux of my issue - fire marshal says it is over 50 occupants, and a potentially separate number, building code indicates it is less?

working with 2015 ibc.

The OL gets me to use, if it is less than 50 OL it can be B as opposed to an assembly use.
OL gets you classification (in this case), not use. OL is based on use. A B classification still has an OL ratio based on t1004.5, whatever the use is.