• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Restaurant Patio Cover - Type I-A building

cambrea

Happy New Year!

Question regarding fire proofing of steel canopy structure in a restaurant (A-2 Occupancy) in Los Angeles.

Here is condition and my understanding:

- Located at a low rise (2 story) portion of a 12 story high-rise. Type IA.

- Currently outdoor dining patio. Open to sky. Owner wants to put a cover on it.

- Steel framed. 700 square feet. 9 feet high. Open all sides. Some portion of roof would be open (trellis type) frame. Underside of roof to be fire-retardant wood finish.

---> Primary structural frame and roof construction shall have fire resistance rating of 2 hr & 1 1/2 hr, respectably. Correct?

-------> BUT, there are steel canopies (5 feet projection from building face) over at exit doors in the same building without any fire proofing. Do I miss something?

Thank you.

Is this going to be attached to the building

As in I open the door look up and see patio ceiling??

Or will it be away from the actual building

Open steel frame trellis will be attached to the building. This trellis frame will be turned into covered/roofed canopy, about 7 feet away from building face.

If it doesn't meet any of the exceptions for awnings or canopies, it meets the construction type of the building....and sprinkler requirements. Unless you could treat it as a separate building....?