• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

restroom for drive up coffee shack

mtlogcabin said:
Lobby of the local McDonalds, Wendy's or Burger King closes at 10 pm. Drive thru is open to 12 midnight during the week and 1:00 am on weekends. No restrooms available for the public. Is it a code violation?
Do they have a lit exterior seating area? Or is it just the drive thru?

mtlogcabin said:
Lobby of the local McDonalds, Wendy's or Burger King closes at 10 pm. Drive thru is open to 12 midnight during the week and 1:00 am on weekends. No restrooms available for the public. Is it a code violation?
I would say it is not a code violation, as long as exterior seating area and walk-up service window are not provided during the vehicular drive-thru hours.

mtlogcabin said:
They all have at least 2 tables outside which provide seating for eight. No there is no direct lighting in the seating area.
We are discussing the probability of someone using the drive-thru lane (McDonalds, BK Lounge, and Wendy's do not serve pedestrians at the drive-thru window), parking, and then enjoying a tasty McWhopper, fry, and frosty float at one of the tables. They would not be able to enjoy any of the other interior amenities, such as free refills, television, ketchup and napkin dispensers, newspapers, protection from the weather, 1 foot/candle lighting 1 foot from the floor, conditioned climate, restrooms, etc. I would consider it a reasonable expectation, and consistent with the intent of the code, to not provide public restroom facilities at that time.

To further my free education on this topic,

would the outdoor seating be required to meet spacing requirements between tables, an electrical service outlet and ADA type accomodations?

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
To further my free education on this topic, would the outdoor seating be required to meet spacing requirements between tables, an electrical service outlet and ADA type accomodations?

pc1
All outdoor seating areas are required to provide lighting (emergency also), service outlet, minimum aisle and aisle accessway widths, and meet the accessibility provisions of Chapter 11 (2006 IBC), which I believe is 5%, and at least one table.