• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Retro back flow on fire sprinklers?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
Is anybody requiring backflow preventers on existing fire sprinkler systems? If so what triggers the work/ Adding heads, how many, changing pipe size. Something Public Works wants to do but not sure when to pull the trigger on the requirement.

have not had to do it that often

major remodel

change say to anti freeze

basicaly a lot of work on the system

Our water districts began requiring this several years before I got here, regardless of whether their was work being performed. If you wanted to keep the domestic water on, you had to have a backflow on the fire line.

I have two different water suppliers and they have required back flow for years. Over the last ten years I have only found three installs that lacked protection. All have been required to fix the issue not only by the AHJ, but the water supplier as well.