• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Return Air sizing

Inspector 102

Silver Member
Homeowner installed his own system with 8 - 6" heat runs and 1- 14" return. I am not very good with HVAC calculations, however the return air seems a little on the small size. Typical size for this size home around here has been 18". Is there a simple formula to help me determine if this is acceptable? 1100 SF home, 75K Btu 85% effecient furnace.

Re: Return Air sizing

Was this system designed in accordance with ACCA Manual J and Manual D as required by IRC section M1401.3?

Chris

No- the homeowner did not use any design manuals to install the system, only what he thought was common sense. He states the heat is balanced, but it just does not seem right to me. Was simply looking fora rule-of-thumb response. Thank

I am in no way an expert on this......however.....as far as I know, the area of the return should match or be larger than the total area of the supply (and whatever the installation instructions require)..... I'm sure the experts will chime in.

Edit: Eight six inch ducts equal 226.192 square inches (28.274 X 8 = 226.192 sq inches) a 14" duct is 153.938 sq. inches (less than the 6" duct total), an 18" duct is 254.469 sq. inches........ which is probably why you see 18" ducts!

Beach,

Just trying to follow along:

How did you get the square inches of a six inch duct?

Thank you,

Rick

A 14" return duct is actually OK, as long as it's not flex duct, or exceptionally long.

Ductwork is usually sized for simple systems using a friction of 0.1" of water per 100 ft. of duct. Based on this, a 6" duct is good for 110 CFM (cubic feet per minute), and a 14" duct is good for 1000 CFM, which is greater than 880 CFM (the capacity of (8) 6" ducts). The air velocity would be 935 feet per minute, which might be a little noisy.

As a check, the output of a 75 MBH furnace at 85% efficiency is 64,000 BTUH. For a 60 degree temperature rise, you would need 64,000 / (60 deg. temp rise x 1.08) = 984 CFM.

I don't know of a simple formula to calculate CFM vs. friction. I use a duct sizing slide rule that an HVAC supplier gave me. HVAC textbooks have charts that give the same results.

No easy way to calculate it.. kind of depends on if heat or cooling dominates.. undersizing the returns leads to heat & humidity in a lot of climates (it's usually bigger than the supply... it's easier for the AHU to push than pull).