• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

revising our housing code

BSSTG

Gold Member
Well since I've been here I've looked for the adopted housing code which is the "standard housing code 1997". I can't even find one in print. So we are going to update to the 06 Poperty Maint Code. So I'm reading through our ordinance and I come to a section with the title "Unsafe Building Abatement Code" which was adopted way back when and is the 1985 edition. Lo and behold can't find that either. Imagine that...... So, could someone tell me what the heck it is and what is the purpose of a bldg. abatement code. In my tenure here I can find no one that has ever delt with it here or amongst my fellow inspectiors that I know around these parts.

thanks

BS

Sounds like you need to update the local building codes.

Why not adopt the 2009 Property Maintence Code?

The building abatement code outlines the specific procedure for condeming and tearing done unsafe structures. It is not a propert mainteneance code. It is a smal phamplet. I will look at the office tomorrow I may have an extra

mtlogcabin is correct, the latest revision of this code was 97 Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings, and addresses only issues of immediate danger to inhabitants (structural collapse, fire /wind damage, etc.) It is not a property maintenance code and does NOT address minimum housing issues or nuisances.

BSSGT,

Your State Local Government Code; might be where you should be looking; not the existing building codes; I think.

In Texas; the State gives strict guidence and requirements to municipalities conserning abatement of buildings;

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.214.htm#A

This is usually the responsibility of the Code Enforcement Officer (all nusiance abatements).

Hope this helps,

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks folks. I figured that's what it was. We will be officially adopting the property maint. code really quick. Abatement I'm not too worried about since it's covered by our state stautes and local ordinance as well.

thanks

BS

I'm with you Uncle Bob. I recently acquired code enforcement training and registration with the state for that. Our local ordinance is pretty much in line with state law as best as i can figure with the exception of our adopted "housing code". Doing a little rewrite for council meeting next week.

Another challenge that has just come up as I'm writing this is how to apply mobile homes into the definition of substandard buildings as I am not familiar with guidelines for the manufacture of them. Oh well, challenges abound.

BS

BSSTG said:
I'm with you Uncle Bob. I recently acquired code enforcement training and registration with the state for that. Our local ordinance is pretty much in line with state law as best as i can figure with the exception of our adopted "housing code". Doing a little rewrite for council meeting next week. Another challenge that has just come up as I'm writing this is how to apply mobile homes into the definition of substandard buildings as I am not familiar with guidelines for the manufacture of them. Oh well, challenges abound.

BS
BS -

Mobilehomes, manufactured homes, park trailers(tow behind mini-homes), etc. are all covered in CA under the state statutes. Housing & Communtiy Development handls all of the oversight and sets the standards. Good luck on the M/Us (manufactured units), it is a challenge.

One type of park trailer

http://www.lillodges.com/?gclid=CPHt_beww6MCFRh9bwodQxlPZg

Sue, in sunny CA

both SBCCI and ICBO had good unsafe building abatement provisions. They spelled out what exactly was an unsafe building. I have to disagree with VP in that I think the Uniform Code spelled out 11 unsafe things which included habitabilty