• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

rewiring a house

ICE

Oh Well
Staff member
The question has been raised as to whether receptacle spacing at walls and kitchen counters as well as hardwired smoke and CO alarms is required when an electrical permit is obtained to rewire a house. Apparently a contractor has made the claim that since he is merely replacing the conductors, outlets, receptacles and switches there is no code that states unequivocally that spacing etc. can be enforced.

I want to hear what you think about this.

so, only repulling wires to existing locations?
Sounds similar to back in the day when aluminum was replaced.

Rewire means compliance with the current code, no argument required. No different than reworking any code governed trade!

The question has been raised as to whether receptacle spacing at walls and kitchen counters as well as hardwired smoke and CO alarms is required when an electrical permit is obtained to rewire a house. Apparently a contractor has made the claim that since he is merely replacing the conductors, outlets, receptacles and switches there is no code that states unequivocally that spacing etc. can be enforced.

I want to hear what you think about this.

Do they have to open the walls or are already open for another reason.

Just my 2 cents... I like to think I/we "apply" the code and not "enforce" the code. Thirteen foot apart, one or two missed receptacle in a den or dining area is not a deal breaker, but the Kitchen... GFCI, 2-small appliance circuits minimum, and the walls are open? Lets ask the homeowner if they would like more receptacles at Thanksgiving! Bigger question is AFCI... :(

Just my 2 cents... I like to think I/we "apply" the code and not "enforce" the code. Thirteen foot apart, one or two missed receptacle in a den or dining area is not a deal breaker, but the Kitchen... GFCI, 2-small appliance circuits minimum, and the walls are open? Lets ask the homeowner if they would like more receptacles at Thanksgiving! Bigger question is AFCI... :(

Very good

A good dose of common sense.

Need to administer a few more millions, seems like.

Please.....don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go nuts on the minutia.

But yes, kitchens, baths......you walk into a sleeping room and there is two recepts opposite sides of the room, exterior (if there are none?)

We don't "make" them rewire the house just because the drywall comes off, but when they choose to rewire, everything is as new including AFCI and GFCI and HW smoke and CO.....

Please.....don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go nuts on the minutia.

But yes, kitchens, baths......you walk into a sleeping room and there is two recepts opposite sides of the room, exterior (if there are none?)
The exterior receptacles have not been something that we have enforced on a rewire. The issue has been discussed with the Chief Electrical Inspector and it was decided to not break open the exterior envelope.

The exterior receptacles have not been something that we have enforced on a rewire. The issue has been discussed with the Chief Electrical Inspector and it was decided to not break open the exterior envelope.

Thanks for that info, good to know.