• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

riddle me this - stairs, rise and run. Ad from craigslist

bgingras

I've been crunching the numbers for a bit on the ad pasted below from Craigslist...how the heck do you get a rise of 102 with a run of 74" and make it to code, any code? I responded with a price and offer to build it to code, doubt I'll get a response :)

------------------

Looking for a Carpenter that does form work ,Not a business.

Needs to be able to layout and form up a set of stairs with a center landing.

the rise is 102 inches and the run is 74 inches.

the treads will be 5 ft wide so will the landing.

If you can figure this out then how many steps will there be , and how high.?

need you to form it out for a pour and then finish the concrete after the pour.

So plz give me your rates on how much, and how long it will take to do.

All tools and material supplied .Labor only .

Thanks,

Re: riddle me this - stairs, rise and run. Ad from craigslist

One step! 74"

Cost to finish and pour your materials will be $100.00. Time to read code book to see if it complies about 2hrs with a 4 slump. Of course this can be reduced with 2% high early. Finish to be by broom on top and honeycomb on all sides. This will be 50.00 for those services. Since I can't guess travel time or distance I would estimate 10.00 a mile plus food, coffee, tolls, gas, ice, and lodging in at least a minimum 4**** hotel with pool and spa. Now that is in both directions.

So here the bottom line!

Labor: 150.00

Travel & etc: 850.00

overhead 400.00

Green charges: 200.00

Total $ 1600.00

One question: Do you want the landing at the top or bottom of the step? :lol:

74" per flight, maybe, with the landing between?

RJJ,

Now that's funny. :lol:

Sounds like he wants a professional at laborer wages. Craig's list is a bad place to do business.

Uncle Bob

lol...don't knock CL, I make all my winter money on CL advertising for pellet stove installations and snow plowing :) yes I'm also an inspector. I find a lot of homeowners actually use CL around here for everything.

i actually read the ad more like "I looked at this job, I can't figure out the math and I don't know how much to charge so could you tell me what the rise and runs are and how much YOU would charge so I can bid it right"

aaaa, let's see, even giving you a 8" rise, and a 9" run.....yeah, that last step'll be a doozy...... :eek:

Is the stair leading to an attic?

pretty easy

7 5/16 riser need 14 +/- 3/8

5 11/16 tread need 13 +/- 1/16

stinger 10ft 7/16 of an in

@ 52.13 degrees

now dose it meet code that is a an other story

The irishman got it, 102 from floor to floor and a 74" opening to do it in. 7 5/16 rise and I'm not sure what the heck 11/16 for run means?

brudgers, don't go there!

The attic stairs thread gives me a headach!

Try spiral stairway, 6'6" headroom might make the math work? :lol:

Maybe it's not really a stair. Maybe it's a concrete ladder

The run of the treads would be 5 and 11/16 inches. Yup, it would be a ladder.

I misread the op, I guess the headroom would be a problem, no, oops, 5 11/16" would be a little off, aint gonna work w/o some modifications and it sounds like it may be all concrete, oh boy.

mule:

That's what I was coming up with. The only place I have seen stairs like this were at on old Mayan Temple in Mexico. Of course I doubt they had building codes 3,000 years ago. :eek:

Unless the 74 inch limitation is the opening at the second floor and the stairs can extend byond the opening if adequate head clearance is provided.

I don't use attic anymore! I call it the upper level of non habitable space and associated storage of non essential living items!