• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Riddle me this, you NFPA gurus.....

beach

Gold Member
We have some rookies here that we like to have do presentations on various subjects such as hydrant location and types in the city, standpipe types, etc. One of them asked me what the letters after some of the NFPA numbers meant such as NFPA 51, 51A, and 51B or NFPA 13, 13R, and 13D..... I told him the A, B, C, etc. were basically subsections to the main number and the R and D for NFPA 13 was for R= Residential over two units and D= One and two damily Dwelling units. But I have no idea what the E in NFPA 13E or NFPA 70E stands for....Anyone know?

I always thought the E in 70E could be for "Employee" since "Employee" used to be in the title of the standard. Don't know for sure though.

NFPA 13E-2005

NFPA 13E: Fire Department Operations in Properties Protected by Sprinkler and Standpipe Systems, 2005 Edition

NFPA 70E: Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace®

Maybe that is part of the numbering system when to same numbered standards are close in title they start using the alphabet???

What were the old 231 series ??? C,d,e,f???

The letter is likely what some one that sounded good at the moment in a committee meeting. Some have some meaning others are sequental.