• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

riser height

ICE

Oh Well
This is the first year that my AHJ has adopted the IRC{2009 edition}. We stopped short of including the el., pl., me., sections.

My question is the lack of a minimum stair riser height. When was the minimum height removed or was it never in the IRC? It's of little consequence, I'm just curious.

Going back to the 2000 IRC, there is no minimum. IMHO anything less than 4 inches is a trip hazard.

Mark is correct, never made it into the IRC, and I concur, anything less than 4" would be a hazard, but not a code violation.

fatboy said:
Mark is correct, never made it into the IRC, and I concur, anything less than 4" would be a hazard, but not a code violation.
Ya, I can see some shortcomings. When I take in the stair section I can see that plenty of time went into creating it. There is a whole section on nosing's. On the bright side, the powers of code officials have expanded and we can now classify a floor as a stairway with 0" risers.