• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Riser room question for duplex/triplex townhomes

palikona

Hi,
I’m designing a series of 3 story duplex and triplex townhomes spread out on a site and they will have a sprinkler system. Do I need to plan for a dedicated riser room for each building with a door to the outside or can the sprinkler equipment be located in a utility room on the ground floor of one unit per building?
Thank you!

Is this a NFPA 13 or 13R system? A 13D system is typically fed from the unit's domestic water supply.
Given that the proposed structures are identified as townhomes, a 13 or 13R system is unnecessary. A 13D will do. But I agree that further information is needed to fully understand the project and to provide a complete answer.

I would not use the domestic for the sprinkler system without checking to see what the impact fees (if any) might be. Ours are based on the water meter size. Just going from a 3/4" to a 1" doubles the impact fee.

P2904.3.2 Shutoff valves prohibited.
With the exception of shutoff valves for the entire water distribution system, valves shall not be installed in any location where the valve would isolate piping serving one or more sprinklers.

P2904.3.3 Single dwelling limit.
Piping beyond the service valve located at the beginning of the water distribution system shall not serve more than one dwelling.

The question my not be a code issue rather that of; practical functions, access, convince, inadvertently shuting off other units