• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Risers to an exterior sliding glass door

jpowell,

I understand your reasoning but I have questions. The code will allow a step with no landing on the outside. Why is a step with no landing any greater a hazard if it is on the inside? Is the problem that there could be a step on both sides of the door? If that's the case, why not allow a step on the inside if there is a landing on the outside?

Is a stairway that terminates at an exterior door not an interior stairway?

R311.7.5 Landings for stairways. There shall be a floor or

landing at the top and bottom of each stairway.

Exception: A floor or landing is not required at the top of

an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an enclosed

garage, provided a door does not swing over the stairs. A

flight of stairs shall not have a vertical rise larger than 12

feet (3658 mm) between floor levels or landings. The

width of each landing shall not be less than the width of the

stairway served. Every landing shall have a minimum

dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction

of travel.

ICE....It does not meet any of the exceptions for the exterior door without a landing on both sides....Not sure on the intent, maybe I can get to the commentary some day, We agree that it meets 311.7.5, but it does not meet 311.3.2...I do not know if one or the other should prevail.....

Maybe the exception for 311.7.5 should add " or at other locations exempted by this code" or something like that...

The slider does not swing inside,no landing required. It also does not swing outside, no landing unless over 2 steps on the exterior. I think i read its not the egress door.