• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Romeo and Juliet balconies

A very important part not understood by many contractors

" Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code."

mtlogcabin said:
[A] 104.1 General.The building official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provisions of this code. The building official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.

A lot of Building Officials refuse to step up to the plate and adopt a policy to clarify something as simple as this.

A policy not only clarifies the intent of an application to a specific design it provides consistency in how a specific code section is enforced within the jurisdiction.

Update. Received a response from ICC technical staff, as follows:

May 20, 2015

Subject: 2015 IRC Sec R311.3

A. Since the door in question is not part of the required means of egress, Section R311 does not apply and the proposed arrangement is considered acceptable with a compliant guard installed across the opening.

Na-nanana-na!

Sifu said:
Update. Received a response from ICC technical staff, as follows:May 20, 2015

Subject: 2015 IRC Sec R311.3

A. Since the door in question is not part of the required means of egress, Section R311 does not apply and the proposed arrangement is considered acceptable with a compliant guard installed across the opening.

Na-nanana-na!
Drinks on you?

It is Friday! Got my regularly scheduled meeting with Mr. Daniels tonight.

Sorry for the delay,

I have written about this in past posts, but depending on how the 2009 IRC was adopted section R311.3 Floors and landings is the section that notes you are required to have a landing outside every exterior door.

When I wrote the exception for that section and it was adopted in to the IRC, I was specific that I only reduced the dimension for the 36" requirement to be less than 36" for balconies less than 60 sqft and not removed.

The intent was even if a single door, sliding door or twin door was installed to act as a window, that when a guard was installed across the opening at floor level. that some sort of small flooring section be installed under the guard, even if it was not able to be stood upon.

The technical term would be a false balcony.

In debates with others here and at code hearings more light was shed to me that any walking surface on the outside of the vertical of the "Door(s)" in place is were a landing starts, some argue the outer portion of the door sill is the start of a landing and others argue the door sill is not part of the landing.

The bottom line is simply this, the exception to R311.3 allows a landing to be less than 36" which means it could be 1/16" and thus as long as the opening limitations of the adopted code section is in compliance, weather or not a landing exist, is simply pointless, with the only reason for the landing being required in the first place for R311.3 is to be able to step out and compose yourself before changing direction or descending down a stair flight or ramp, the fact that you can't go anywhere is the true intent for the exception.

There are many who build the guards for this opening with just a horizontal bar set at the bottom of the guard at floor level, it is not really a functional landing, but serves to dispose of those that wont budge from a technical diff that anything out there less than 36" and more than zero complies to the letter of the code.

I hope I did not bore you.

Tom