• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Area

dcray627

Hello. I'm working with a golf pro shop that wants to cover a concrete patio with a shed roof attached to the existing building. There will be no perimeter walls just 6"x6" wood posts.
Is there any reason I can't attach the proposed roof to the existing roof?

Has anyone deemed qualified by the local building department determined if what is supporting the existing roof will also support the proposed roof, dead and live loads?

Without knowing a lot more, nearly impossible to say for sure. What kind of building is the pro shop? Block, stick, metal? Attaching to eave or gable or other? Probably those wood 6x6s need to bevind footings below frost line. And more.

We're I wagering, odds might be ever so slightly in your favor - but just as much of a guess as to what make of car you own or your dad's first name.

You really need an architect or engineer to answer this for a commercial building. Some builders might be able to tell. Frankly if your building department doesn't require an architect or engineer, i'd be worried. And if you're skipping the building department and permit, this is not the place to ask.

Here's some more information. The building's exterior walls are 2"x6" with 5/8" drywall. Roof system is wood trusses. Building area is about 3400 s.f. There are 1500 s.f. of covered porch areas. They want to extend an existing covered porch area by 15'x 88' and put a roof over it. This building is non-sprinklered.

While it sounds feasible, the work requires an architect or engineer to assess the existing framing and design the new framing and adfition. I know it's very difficult and can be costly to contract for those services. Just not many who are at all interested in smaller projects, and I know from personal experience. Contractors often have a one they can call on. Sorry.