• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

roof drain storm flow rate per IPC

Steve Sylvest

When using the IPC 2021 to compute flow rates to size roof drains and leaders and piping, it refers to a 100-year 1-hour rainfall intensity (given in Figure 1106.1). It implies, but does not specifically clarify, that this should be used regardless of the size of area drained (that is for small areas with short time of concentration, or large ones, either way). Is that correct?

One reason I am unsure is because some other codes I have used in the past did account for different storm intensities, and certainly civil stormwater design (drain pipes) do too.

Here in Virginia (4" per hour for one hour duration, 10" per hour for 5 minute duration) I plotted the accumulation vs. drainage and found that the ponding depth would be less than 2". This is only 10 PSF, which is less than the usual 20 PSF live load.