• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

roof insulation requirements in Ohio - IECC 2012 vs, ASHRAE 90.1 2010

ccollings

Is anyone out there familiar with Ohio building code?
I am struggling with an apparent discrepancy. for energy efficiency Ohio Building code follows IECC 2012 and ASHRAE 90.1 - 2010.
for roof insulation entirely above deck for Zone 5 , IECC 2012 calls for R-25
for roof insulation entirely above deck for Zone 5 , ASHRAE 90.1 - 2010 calls for R-20

to complicate things, Our spec writer followed ashrae and called for R-20, but when I did the drawings, I followed IECC and called for R-25. the contractor is asking for clarification. He priced the job at R-20 and wants a change order to go to R-25.

# # > >

ccollings, ...which Standard is the officially adopted & legal Standard ?

As I understand the two Standards, only one of them can be adopted
and used, not both !

< < # #

it seems to be both (?)

"Buildings shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the International Energy Conservation Code applicable provisions of the "International Energy Conservation Code" or the requirements of "ASHRAE 90.1" listed in Chapter 35 of this code except as modified in Sections 1301.2 and 1301.3."

As a specifier myself, I have a few questions:
  1. Was the specifier provided a set of your drawings?
  2. Was the specifier informed that you were following IECC instead of ASHRAE?
  3. Did the specifier inquire as to which standard was being used?
If the answers to the first and second were "no" and the third "yes," then the problem is on you. If the drawings were provided (and showed the R-value) or you informed the specifier of which standard applies, then it is the specifier's fault.

As a specifier, if it is shown on the drawings, I do not include it in the specifications for this very reason: a possible conflict.

But all that does not help your situation. I would ask the contractor this simple question: "Did you see the R-25 requirement on the drawing during bidding?" If they answer "yes," then you have them on the hook--you just need to reel them in.

However, reeling them in assumes you used AIA Document A701-2018, Instructions to Bidders, or a facsimile that uses similar language. Section 3.2.1 states "The Bidder shall carefully study the Bidding Documents...and shall notify the Architect of errors, inconsistencies, or ambiguities discovered and request clarification or interpretation pursuant to Section 3.2.2." If your instructions included this provision, and they saw the error and did not notify you (they just admitted it if they answered "yes" to the question), then they have no grounds to file a claim for a change order.

i'm not blaming the spec writer. I am also a spec writer, just not on this job. I was aware that the spec used ashrae, but I never reviewed roof insulation with him. I made the assumption that the 2 standards were in agreement.....insert ass-u-me joke here. as project manager, it is my job to make sure the job is coordinated. this falls squarely on me. i've always followed iecc and wasn't aware of the different between the 2 standards until yesterday. i have a call into (a) AHJ (not the one from the project) to see how he interprets the code. I find it hard to believe that this is the first time this has come up.

if this project wasn't a leed job, i wouldn't care if it was r-20 or r-25. i've told that contractor to provide r-25 per the drawings and copied the chart from iecc. he hasn't responded.