• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Leak - couple of questions

ameliasolis

Hello all.
My roof is leaking in the valley areas of an addition that was built about 10 years ago. I need a new roof but it's gonna have to wait till spring due to a scheduled lay-off and lack of $$ this time of year. The area I need to cover is 24x16 but the two roofs intersect so it will be a little tricky to cover it and try to minimize the folds due to the two valleys. I also have to make a cut to allow for the plumbing vent (which is directly in the valley).

Questions: Would you use a heavy-duty tarp or do you think 6 mil plastic will hold up to the snow and wind if it is screwed down with 1x3 strapping?
Do I have any other options that are not too costly?

The price is about the same for each but I can get the poly in clear and I'm trying to minimize the eyesore (although leak-free is priority one)
Any ideas would help as I have a relatively small window to get this roof covered before the next snow/rain.

Hello all.
My roof is leaking in the valley areas of an addition that was built about 10 years ago. I need a new roof but it's gonna have to wait till spring due to a scheduled lay-off and lack of $$ this time of year. The area I need to cover is 24x16 but the two roofs intersect so it will be a little tricky to cover it and try to minimize the folds due to the two valleys. I also have to make a cut to allow for the plumbing vent (which is directly in the valley).

Questions: Would you use a heavy-duty tarp or do you think 6 mil plastic will hold up to the snow and wind if it is screwed down with 1x3 strapping?
Do I have any other options that are not too costly?

The price is about the same for each but I can get the poly in clear and I'm trying to minimize the eyesore (although leak-free is priority one)
Any ideas would help with roofers mclean va as I have a relatively small window to get this roof covered before the next snow/rain.
thanks in advance for any help

D yo need a new roof or is there a leak you can have repaired? vent in the valley is not a good idea

It will look like crap but for a few months maybe you can live with it. Apply a heavy coat of this …
1701697251477.jpeg

I think I'm with e hilton on this. Trowel on a thick coat of Henrys or similar, with or without tarp.

And when you reroof, see if you can move vent out of valley.

I need a new roof
I take this to mean that the roof is in need of replacement anyways, not simply because of the leak? Have you had any roofing companies come to do an estimate? Most of the roofing companies in my area will do a free estimate, I recommend getting three if you can. Also most of the roofers here will do the temporary fix (and/or tarp it for you) once you've signed a contract.