• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Replacement

socaldano

A large tree branch fell on a single family house I own, breaking several "stick framed" roof trusses. And I am having trouble getting the permit to replace the Roof Trusses and the roof from the City.

I had read in the "existing building codes", that if it is fixing damage such as a tree branch breaking supporting roof boards. That the permit can only require the replacement beams be up to code, that the other beams and the building have passed code by the "test of time". But now I am having trouble finding that section.

Can anyone tell me
1. Best way to get past this. Making nice with the guys from this city doesn't work for anyone who runs afoul of them.
2. Can you tell me where in the building codes that anything that is not being replaced on the roof is out of scope as this is a repair? I read it last month, can't find it now. it was in the "existing building code" basically saying only the portion being fixed is in scope. The rest of the system is out of scope and the city cannot require me to replace it. And one code even used the branch breaking several roof beams as an example.

House was built in the 1930s.
This city failed to request the design plans for the homes, from the county when they incorporated. So the plans for all homes from most of 20th century were destroyed.

I am having professional trusses with engineering plans for those trusses built, much steeper than the 4:12 pitch required by code., approximately the same as the existing roof. (off by inches, as original roof was weakly stick frames and is 40-80 years old).
City is giving me the runaround about issuing a permit to put on new trusses, declaring I need architectural drawings by an architect or engineer for the house itself, showing it will meet the load of the new roof (probably lighter then the old roof).

City law states I must submit sealed plans. I have submitted sealed plans for the trusses. I have submitted drawings showing offset of the trusses.
The city waits 6 weeks then gives me more requirements having nothing to do with the roof. Then waits 6 week for each response, slow walking this.
The city is requiring details down to the spacing of the nails (other inspectors always just make sure the nails are properly spaced), and adding requirements at each iteration.
The City is demanding I get a professional engineer or architect to draw plans for the house itself and certify it is "capable" of holding up the roof. (in addition to the roof). The new roof and trusses are going where the old stick frame trusses were.
on and on.

Thanks,

In most jurisdictions, as far as I know, single-family houses do not require a licensed architect to design them. (Your jurisdiction may be different, though.)

However, the building department may just be looking for a professional opinion that the existing structure hasn't been weakened and that it's strong enough to support the replaced roof framing system. In the case of a very old house that sustained significant damage, I don't think that's an unreasonable request. It's for your safety.

However, I do think asking to have the plans of the entire house redrawn is a bit over the top. I would just ask for a letter from a professional engineer stating that the supporting structure is adequate.

socaldano, please tell us:
1. The city the building is located in, or at least the state. Your profile says St. Louis, Missouri, but we don't know if that's where the building in question is located. We first need to figure out the currently adopted codes for the area where the building is located. See here for more info: https://up.codes/codes/missouri
2. The year that the house was first built.