• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof shingle loading

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Is there anything in the code about loading roofs with shingles for extended periods of time. Just wonder'n

All I could find is R907.2

pc1

It would depend on how much the shingles weight and how long. Look at Table 2.3.2 in the NDS. It assumes construction loads are there for up to 7 days. If the loads are equal to the design snow loads it is assumed that they are not there form more than two months. An engineer may be able to justify longer durations. This assumes that the loads on the roof do not significantly exceed the roof live or snow loads

Pcinspector1 said:
Is there anything in the code about loading roofs with shingles for extended periods of time. Just wonder'nAll I could find is R907.2

pc1
Well I don't know about the rest of you but the shingles have been on my roof for 12 years and nothing bad has happened so far.

Pcinspector1 said:
Is there anything in the code about loading roofs with shingles for extended periods of time. Just wonder'n All I could find is R907.2 pc1
Yes, it's the 20 psf live load. That's why it is so high.

Concentrated loads like stacks of plywood and shingles have led to failures of roof systems a few times.

Floors get overloaded as well

In a neighboring jurisdiction they were loading the drywall into a building put too much in one spot and the building collapsed with one fatality--inadequate construction bracing was also a factor.

I found one where they had loaded the black sprinkler piping through the window into a large pile on the 4th floor saw 6-8 inch floor deflections with busted truss members below. I eased away from that part of the building.

The code required live load on sloped roofs can be as low as 12 psf. On some old roofs the actual capacity may be less. This is probably consistent with the truss designers of two bundle thicknesses.

Mac said:
Concentrated loads like stacks of plywood and shingles have led to failures of roof systems a few times.
A stack of plywood would usually correlate with an incomplete roof system - and both correlate with construction loads which are not governed by the building code (except in the case of reroofing and that's what the 20lbs LL covers). Loads during construction would be covered by worklplace safety laws and regulations.

3301.2 Storage and placement. Construction equipment and materials shall be stored and placed so as not to endanger the public, the workers or adjoining property for the duration of the construction project.