• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Truss collapse

kyhowey

Silver Member
Concentrated loads and inadequate bracing are likely factors. It happens. Sometimes people are hurt more severely.

Yeah, had a 2200ish footprint, single story, simple gable truss system go down a couple years ago, they were starting to lay down sheathing, puff of wind, they rolled like dominos. One guy at the end had to jump,, crushed his ankles. He was off work for about a year. No bracing in place...........

Church collapse here last year. The multi truss assembly had side wings of mono trusses capped by cathedral scissors over the sanctuary. They failed to adequately brace the vertical wall portion of the monos and started up with the scissors. Luckily a slow 2 day collapse. It did a partial roll which let everyone get off safely and then it ate itself up till it ran out of gravity. The quick flips I've driven by just knot your stomach. We did a lousy hook on some largish trusses one time and had one break in air and come half unhooked swinging wildly through the house. Our ground guy managed to pack his 200+ pound frame into a 2x6 stud bay as it clocked the wall. There was nowhere for us up top to run, you're just along for the ride and hoping for good luck at that point.

I do like a stick framed roof.

I got stuck in the dominoes once.

Starving to death, piece-working, in the rain. Fairly simple roll, and had one end braced, with maybe 15 rolled and nailed. Had a sudden blast of wind and pushed the whole thing over, and I was in the middle about 7 feet up the truss. Just pancaked my ***. I was completely pinned, looking up, just another part of the retardation. The little catwalk saved me from zipping to the floor 12 feet down, but I can tell you getting squarshed is hardly as fun as it sounds.

The amazing thing is I didn't get one cut from any plates, just all beat up.

So, dumbass rescue ensues, go brace the gable slightly better than before, roll trusses AGAIN. FML.

Brent.

The OP story occurred last summer. OSHA issued two citations: improper bracing and for lack of fall protection for the workers

The construction company paid penalties of nearly $4,000 for the two citations after reductions for the small size of the company, for having no prior OSHA violations and for taking a safety course.
Source: Bangor Daily NewsFor future reference, see OSHA guide to installing trusses.