• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roofing Job - Like for Like?

Alias

Stumbled onto a roofing job today. There is no permit for the job and the contractor is not a licensed roofing contractor. This is what I found:

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/fiddlefooted/roofing/Mall005.jpg

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/fiddlefooted/roofing/Mall006.jpg

They are going over metal roofing with metal roofing. The old roofing is the standard corrugated tin found on a pole barn, new roofing is definitely not the same type of metal roofing. I looked in CBC Section 1510 under roofing. The only reference for overlayment with metal roofing was when used over wood shingles. There is nothing for metal over metal.

Would you allow this in your jurisdiction? If not, why? If yes, why?

Thanks,

Sue

= = = =

If allowed to, ...I would not allow the project to continue!

#1: No permit obtained!

#2: Not a licensed contractor!.......To be consistent & in theory, isn't

everyone supposed to obtain a permit and be licensed & insured?

To not be licensed & insured, gives an [ unfair ?? ] advantage to some.

#3: What type, size & spacing of fasteners are being used?

#4: Who specified what type of metal roofing sheets, fasteners,

spacing, ...wind bracing requirements?

= = = =

north star said:
= = = =If allowed to, ...I would not allow the project to continue!

#1: No permit obtained!

#2: Not a licensed contractor!.......To be consistent & in theory, isn't

everyone supposed to obtain a permit and be licensed & insured?

To not be licensed & insured, gives an [ unfair ?? ] advantage to some.

#3: What type, size & spacing of fasteners are being used?

#4: Who specified what type of metal roofing sheets, fasteners,

spacing, ...wind bracing requirements?

= = = =

Contractor is licensed albeit as a 1) plumbing & 2) general contractor. CA requires the primary contractor to hold a roofing license if the only work being performed is roofing. As this contractor is licensed to perform other trades, he could conceivably do the roofing in concert with two other unrelated trades.

Sue

Can you go metal over metal? I can find nothing in the code to allow this work. Code section please.

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
Licensing and permits aside, I wonder if the building can support the weight of two metal roof systems?

Mac said:
Licensing and permits aside, I wonder if the building can support the weight of two metal roof systems?
Considering the building started life as a pole barn and then converted to retail space sans permits, I wouldn't bet on it.

Sue

IBC

1510.1 General.

Materials and methods of application used for recovering or replacing an existing roof covering shall comply with the requirements of Chapter 15.

1507.4.1 Deck requirements.

Metal roof panel roof coverings shall be applied to a solid or closely fitted deck, except where the roof covering is specifically designed to be applied to spaced supports

I am sure the CBC has something similar

Since the contractor installed 1X's to support the new metal roof covering it does not meet 1507.4.1. Back to the manufacturer for approval to be supported by the 1X's and the OC spacing.

I don't like it but it may be okay.

i would think that the potential for sweating between the layers is possible. felt between layers would have been nice. what does the roofing manufacturer say about the install?

mtlogcabin said:
IBC1510.1 General.

Materials and methods of application used for recovering or replacing an existing roof covering shall comply with the requirements of Chapter 15.

1507.4.1 Deck requirements.

Metal roof panel roof coverings shall be applied to a solid or closely fitted deck, except where the roof covering is specifically designed to be applied to spaced supports

I am sure the CBC has something similar

Since the contractor installed 1X's to support the new metal roof covering it does not meet 1507.4.1. Back to the manufacturer for approval to be supported by the 1X's and the OC spacing.

I don't like it but it may be okay.
Thank you for the section number. The way I interpret this is that it is not allowed because it is not being installed on a solid or closely fitted deck.

Sue

Alias said:
Thank you for the section number. The way I interpret this is that it is not allowed because it is not being installed on a solid or closely fitted deck. Sue
Maybe maybe not, a lot of metal roofing is designed to be installed attacks to perling's which are normally quite widely spaced. In this case the 1x's could be acting as such. Best to consult the manufacturer of the material.

There are some systems for applying new metal roofing over existing metal roofing. I'd feel better with them than with wood furring that you don't know how it was attached to the original metal. I'd be far more concerned with uplift than the weight of an additional roof, which would only be a couple PSF for metal.

Is the original roof over purlins and if so are the new purlins stacked over the old?

# + # +

Sue,

As usual, we all have a lot of questions on this project.

The installation of the metal roofing over the existing

metal roof **may** be o.k., ...but I would like to have

an engineers report saying so.

Since you do not have much; if any, support to effectively

do your job, ...I'm guessing that asking for specs. / eng.

report / having a licensed contractor to actually obtain

a permit is out of the question.

What's your next step? :confused:

$ - $ - $