• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rooftop Deck Door Swing Direction

CAR

SAWHORSE
Hello,
I have a door swing question. Working on a Dallas high-rise, commercial office interior buildout, with an exterior component. Two of the floors my client will occupy, have existing unoccupied rooftop terraces with existing doors. These doors currently swing out to the exterior. Until now, only building staff had access to the terraces for maintenance. We are proposing enclosing a small portion of the rooftop terrace with guardrails and planters to carve out small amenity space with some outdoor furniture. These are relatively small and we're keeping the occupiable space area small enough to keep occ. under 50 ppl. Would I have to change the doors to swing towards the direction of egress? Or could this be treated similarly to B occupancy rooms below 50 occupants and the doors can remain as they are?

Thank you.

Chicago Building Code (2019) Section 1010.1.2.1 Direction of Swing

Pivot or side-hinged swinging doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel where serving a room or area containing an occupant load of 50 or more persons or a Group H occupancy.

Chicago Building Code (2019) Section 1010.1.2.1 Direction of Swing

Pivot or side-hinged swinging doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel where serving a room or area containing an occupant load of 50 or more persons or a Group H occupancy.

Prety straight forward. Wasn't sure if it being outdoor space would add any complications. Thank you!