• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rooftop Patio

We have a large separated mixed-occupancy project that we are working on. The first floor is larger than the second and third, and the roof of the larger section of the first floor will be used for a roof top patio to be used by the whole building. The rooftop patio has no walls and no horizontal projection above, it only has a railing around the perimeter. Below the roof top patio is an A-2 Restaurant and A-3 Gallery space. There are also S-1, B, and M occupancies on the first floor that are separated from the Assembly occupancies. Adjacent to the rooftop patio on the second floor is a B occupancy. Does it need to be separated from the B interior occupancy? The rooftop does not meet the criteria for a fire area, or building area for that matter, so it seems like a grey area.

which building code and edition for this project?

how many sq ft is the entire bldg.?

how many sq ft is the patio

is the patio somehow associated with the adjoining B?

So what will the patio be used for?? employee break area? an area for customers to lounge on?? anything going on the patio bar? cooking?? other??

Thanks! This is 2012 IBC. The entire building is 46,500 SF. The patio is 4228 SF. The patio is accessible by the whole building for tenant use with tables/chairs, etc. No cooking and no permanent bar. It seems to me that 707.4 Exterior walls applies and this exterior wall would not have to be rated unless required by 705.

Yes. We have several large windows in this exterior wall that would be very expensive if they were required to be rated. By the way, the building is II-B construction, and this wall is not required to be rated for FSD. We are also allowed unlimited unprotected openings.

% ? % ? %

Blake Middleton,

Also, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

Can you post any pics. \ floor plan \ etc. ?.......Thanks !

% ? % ? %

Correct; not a fire area nor building area thus Table 503 does not apply. (2015 Significant Changes 903.2.1.6; explanation of roof occupancies)

However as a kind reminder temporary membrane structures; tents, canopy and even umbrella's (case by case basis) on roofs are fire areas.

Also Table 1021.2(2) and if necessary may need to address barricading off areas to not exceed maximum travel distance or extending the exit enclosures.

Accessible route . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
FV has a pretty good rundown....We separate "occupancies" which the patio is, regardless of fire or building area....I would need research or convincing of the contrary..

% : % : %

Blake Middleton,

What is the sq. ft. of the "B Occupancy" adjacent to the Assembly Area ( the Patio ) ?

What is is the total amount of occupants that will be exiting both areas ?

% : % : %

the roof of the larger section of the first floor will be used for a roof top patio
Located and accessible from the second floor level. This is no different then a second floor deck or patio area. There is no OL increase for the building since it is exclusively used by the building occupants. At 4200 sq ft the building official could assign an OL that would require 2 exits from that area. I would suggest limiting the seating to less than 50 if two exits are not possible

We have used this section for what you are describing.

1004.5 Outdoor areas.

Yards, patios, courts and similar outdoor areas accessible to and usable by the building occupants shall be provided with means of egress as required by this chapter. The occupant load of such outdoor areas shall be assigned by the building official in accordance with the anticipated use. Where outdoor areas are to be used by persons in addition to the occupants of the building, and the path of egress travel from the outdoor areas passes through the building, means of egress requirements for the building shall be based on the sum of the occupant loads of the building plus the outdoor areas.

Exceptions:

1. Outdoor areas used exclusively for service of the building need only have one means of egress.

2. Both outdoor areas associated with Group R-3 and individual dwelling units of Group R-2.

Thanks mtlogcabin. I think we are ok as far as exiting as we have the required 2 exits. My main concern is whether in a separated mixed-occupancy we have to separate an outdoor space from an interior space.

SECTION 1021 NUMBER OF EXITS AND EXIT CONFIGURATION

1021.1 General.

Each story and occupied roof shall have the minimum number of exits, or access to exits, as specified in this section. The required number of exits, or exit access stairways or ramps providing access to exits, from any story shall be maintained until arrival at grade or a public way. Exits or access to exits from any story shall be configured in accordance with this section. Each story above the second story of a building shall have a minimum of one interior or exterior exit stairway, or interior or exterior exit ramp. At each story above the second story that requires a minimum of three or more exits, or access to exits, a minimum of 50 percent of the required exits shall be interior or exterior exit stairways, or interior or exterior exit ramps.

Exceptions:

1. Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps are not required in open parking garages where the means of egress serves only the open parking garage.

2. Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps are not required in outdoor facilities where all portions of the means of egress are essentially open to the outside.

1021.2 Exits from stories.

Two exits, or exit access stairways or ramps providing access to exits, from any story or occupied roof shall be provided where one of the following conditions exists:

1. The occupant load or number of dwelling units exceeds one of the values in Table 1021.2(1) or 1021.2(2).

The question of the day from op

Is any separation required between the patio and the rest of the building??

The question of the day from op

Is any separation required between the patio and the rest of the building??

One could certainly argue now that mixed use is covered under Ch5 and the patio is not a "building" and has no height or area, it would not need to be separated.....Can you have an A use on the 3rd floor?

steveray said:
Can you have an A use on the 3rd floor?
This patio is above the first floor A occupancy and is on the second floor level.

I guess a follow up question would be concerning the internal stair we are using as one of the exits. Would this stair need to be sprinklered? We are sprinklering the first floor Assembly space.

@ ~ ~ ~ @

But the Patio Area IS a habitable area with an occupant load, that is separated

from the adjacent "B Occupancy".

I'm leaning towards "Yes" for a fire rated barrier, until someone can show me

some code sections that do not require it. :grin:

@ ~ ~ ~ @

north star said:
@ ~ ~ ~ @But the Patio Area IS a habitable area with an occupant load, that is separated

from the adjacent "B Occupancy".

I'm leaning towards "Yes" for a fire rated wall, until someone can show me

some code sections that do not require it. :grin:

@ ~ ~ ~ @
north star It seems to me that 707.4 Exterior walls applies and this exterior wall would not have to be rated unless required by 705.

Blake Middleton said:
This patio is above the first floor A occupancy and is on the second floor level. I guess a follow up question would be concerning the internal stair we are using as one of the exits. Would this stair need to be sprinklered? We are sprinklering the first floor Assembly space.
There will not be a fire sprinkler system through out the "entire building "???