• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rotating House

Some interesting structural challanges to resist wind and earthquakes.

Would assume most of the utilities would be in the central core.

Not clear how to get electrical service and internet service to the exterior walls. Is there special electrical hardware that can accommodate the rotation that is also recognized by the electrical code?

I've been reading about one in Germany that produces and sells back to the grid 5 times as much energy as it uses.

We also have one in in San Diego that really looks architecturally impressive. It looks like I thought homes would look like in the future when I was a kid.

Mark K said:
Not clear how to get electrical service and internet service to the exterior walls. Is there special electrical hardware that can accommodate the rotation that is also recognized by the electrical code?
Just let the cords twist, and reverse direction every 1440 degrees!

conarb said:
I had lunch once in the Equinox in San Francisco, I liked it but the wife thought it made her dizzy, dizzy blond anyway.
Congrats for lunch a new is San Francisco,.

Internet and telephone use wireless

Power use the same slip ring connection that is used for wind turbines.

Which I hope to see and do when I go see my son at Fort Lewis in October! Never have been the the Great Northwest, looking forward to it.

Do lunch on top of the Needle. It is pricy, but when you add in the cost of admission with the lunch, it works out to be pretty reasonable.

Dine at Cutter's in the Market around sunset with a window table. The view can't be beat.

Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island, have lunch on the island and then return. Cheapest and best way to see Seattle from the water.

Coug Dad said:
Dine at Cutter's in the Market around sunset with a window table. The view can't be beat.
Have to agree on Cutter's. Fall and spring in Seattle are amazing.

As for code issues...I didn't see an outlet on the island. ;) I would like to see the third party inspection reports on those welds though.

Planning on Bainbridge Island, a Fire Protection Engineer that I worked with here for years is the Fire Marshall for Bainbridge Island now. Will keep Cutter's in mind.