• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rough in plumbing with 42" footings

DSYNT

Hello, so I'm doing a mudroom addition and due to the frost I must have 42" footings. I can't find anything in the Michigan code book about how to go about roughing in plumbing in the same trench as the footing will be. Please see attachment. The blue line is the sewer line. I know to sleeve the line through the footing but nothing about in the footing. Thank you.

279543120_977173019664527_7918075656376292259_n.jpg

I'm not sure about the codes in your area but most areas will not allow the pipe to run in the footing like that. It would have to be run above the footing inside the wall. Also, I think in the long run you would be much better off if you made that exterior door a 3'0" door. The extra few inches taken out of that wall won't be a problem in the extra width of the door could prove quite helpful in the future, especially for such things as bringing in a new washer or dryer or even a new refrigerator for your kitchen which I'm assuming is right off of this room through the 100B which you would also want to be 3'0"

Ya the southern bell is correct....no plumbing allowed in the footing.

I'm not sure about the codes in your area but most areas will not allow the pipe to run in the footing like that. It would have to be run above the footing inside the wall. Also, I think in the long run you would be much better off if you made that exterior door a 3'0" door. The extra few inches taken out of that wall won't be a problem in the extra width of the door could prove quite helpful in the future, especially for such things as bringing in a new washer or dryer or even a new refrigerator for your kitchen which I'm assuming is right off of this room through the 100B which you would also want to be 3'0"
I don't have the room unfortunately we have a laundry sink in between

Ya the southern bell is correct....no plumbing allowed in the footing.
Yeah, I realize now. So after figuring that out. I will just sleeve through the footing. I just don't know where exactly to run all my lines and vents. I would like to tie the laundry sink into the washer standpipe. Not sure if I can run washer, laundry sink, and toilet off one vent and where that vent would even go. Lots to think.

The picture with all my red notes is old drawing. New drawing has normal size door there.

# ~ # ~ #

DSYNT, can you submit an updated drawing ? Having a water heater
in a closet like that sure does appear to be a tight fit. While maybe not
a Code issue, ...for access & service ability, I would recommend much more
space around it.

What is the item in the closet with the water heater ? If it's an HVAC unit,
you might want to consider more space around it too !

# ~ # ~ #

# ~ # ~ #

space around it.

# ~ # ~ #
You should see where both of them are now, this design is an upgrade haha. Uploading photos is weird on this site, by that I mean it needing a url to show the photo where the photos are saved on my computer as a file. I'll see if I can figure it out.

# ~ # ~ #

space around it.

# ~ # ~ #
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zUS2eJrTWEosHZCF6

Ok so my issue is 3 things.
1.Where I should sleeve the 3" pipe through the footing on the right wall. Where the toilet won't be an issue and I can use a 3x4 to my 4" closet flange. Please see picture here https://photos.app.goo.gl/VkeEcWFgYuZDWYav6
2. Where I should put my vent that goes through the roof so I can tie the laundry sink, washer, and toilet all on that one vent.
3. How do I 45° the washer drain/standpipe to it that goes into the wall and I can tie my laundry sink into that standpipe like so in this picture. https://photos.app.goo.gl/i7nVumhyBQUYoD1G7

Ok I believe I may have figured it out.

So I will switch the wall to 2x6 framing, 6 inches off the finished wall I sleeve through the footing with my 3" pipe which will be just outside of the footing itself. Before the toilet I branch off with a 2" pipe that 45° into the wall and through the roof for main vent. Off the 3" line I branch off that and tie in the toilet. I continue the 3" pipe past the toilet and branch off 1.5" pipe for the washing machine vent, use 45° and get the pipe into the wall. I tie the washer machine vent into 2" vent in the wall.
I need to confirm if using that vent will be to code if I use it as a wet vent and tie my standpipe and sink drain into it like my picture here.

This is my drawing how I think itll work, blue line is drain, red is vents

2 fixtures one trap? Guess so...

P2706.1.2.1 Laundry tray connection to standpipe.
Where a laundry tray waste line connects into a standpipe
for an automatic clothes washer drain, the standpipe
shall extend not less than 30 inches (762 mm)
above the standpipe trap weir and shall extend above
the flood level rim of the laundry tray. The outlet of the
laundry tray shall not be greater than 30 inches (762
mm) horizontally from the standpipe trap.

Hello, so I'm doing a mudroom addition and due to the frost I must have 42" footings. I can't find anything in the Michigan code book about how to go about roughing in plumbing in the same trench as the footing will be. Please see attachment. The blue line is the sewer line. I know to sleeve the line through the footing but nothing about in the footing. Thank you.

279543120_977173019664527_7918075656376292259_n.jpg
Seems like the potable water lines in the exterior walls are going to freeze, well before the sanitary line at the top of the footing as invert height is going to freeze. As a practical matter, not as a code requirement

Seems like the potable water lines in the exterior walls are going to freeze, well before the sanitary line at the top of the footing as invert height is going to freeze. As a practical matter, not as a code requirement
Why would they freeze in a climate controlled building?

Why would they freeze in a climate controlled building?
I assume the 42 inch depth for bottom of footing is to put it below the frost line
Is that not why the plumbing line also needs to be below frost line and the conflict with the 42in and the depth of footing?

Did I miss something?