• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rough in Question for shower

Nilew

Hello
Building a new bathroom in Toronto. A few questions please:

1. I am using a Schluter Shower Tray and Drain. The video says the shower rough in hole can be up to 5" wide. What is a normal shower rough in? I've seen 3".
Is there a common pipe sizing that is easier/cheaper and more common that will determine the hole size? I guess home depot would have that?

I was going to make the rough in hole 3" but is that the most common piping size?

2. What is the rough in size for the toilet - is it 4"?

3. I checked the building code for water closets, it simply says there should be enough room to move about in the bathroom. For example, it doesn't say a toilet needs 15" of clearance either side, at least that I could find. My shower and vanity will be about 8" away on either side of the toilet.

Thanks

I think you missed the point. They are saying you can have a hole in the floor up to 5” wide, anything larger will not provide sufficient support for the pan. They aren’t talking about the size of the drain pipe.

Ah ok, fair point.
I'll rephrase the questions.
What is the most common drain hose size for
- a shower? 3" or 4"
- a toilet - 4'?
- a wash basin?

I was going to go with:
Shower 3 drain pipe ABS

Toilet 4" drain pipe

Wash basin - 1 1/2 or 2" drain pipe.

Would that be reasonable?
Thanks

Don’t mean to be a smarta$$ … you asked about the most common pipe size … who cares? Size it to suit your local code.

In the USA the minimum size is 3” for a toilet, 2” for a shower, 1.25” for the lav. You can certainly go larger but there is a point where the scouring action is impaired. The minimums are common Except the lav which would be 1.5”.

In the USA the minimum size is 3” for a toilet, 2” for a shower, 1.25” for the lav. You can certainly go larger but there is a point where the scouring action is impaired. The minimums are common Except the lav which would be 1.5”.
Thank you. That helps. I think the codes here are the same.
I looked at home depot and they only carry 1.5, 2 and 3 inch pipe so it follows what you're saying.

To point out the obvious, check in with the local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) on these questions, assuming you are pulling the necessary permits. :rolleyes: