• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

S-1 / S-1 Separation

MA_Architect

I am designing a small automotive repair garage (S-1), but I will have 165 gallons of class II flammable liquid (motor oil). If you have more than 130 gallons you are considered H-2 Rather than classify the building as an H-2, can I simply build a rated room to store the oil in? If so, please help me figure out the wall ratings. I can't use Table 508.4, because it obviously states that a separation is not required. I am thinking that I need to use Table 602, and assume I am building two buildings with a 0 lot line. This would make my rated room 2 hours. My goal is to have 110 gallon of "new" oil in the room, and allow the used 55 gallon drum to be moved around freely in the repair bays to capture all the old oil as required.

where are you getting the Class II rating?? do you have the msds for the oil??

Look here.......You would need to build control areas, bounded by fire barriers, to get out of the H occupancy....

414.2.2 Percentage of maximum allowable quantities. The percentage of maximum allowable quantities of hazardous materials per control area permitted at each floor level within a building shall be in accordance with Table 414.2.2. [F]

TABLE 414.2.2 DESIGN AND NUMBER OF CONTROL AREAS [F]

FLOOR LEVEL PERCENTAGE OF THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE

QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREAa NUMBER OF CONTROL

AREAS PER FLOOR FIRE-RESISTANCE RATING

FOR FIRE BARRIERS IN HOURSb

Above grade plane Higher than 9 5 1 2

7-9 5 2 2

6 12.5 2 2

5 12.5 2 2

4 12.5 2 2

3 50 2 1

2 75 3 1

1 100 4 1

Below grade plane 1 75 3 1

2 50 2 1

Lower than 2 Not Allowed Not Allowed Not Allowed

a. Percentages shall be of the maximum allowable quantity per control area shown in Tables 307.1(1) and 307.1(2), with all increases allowed in the notes to those tables.

b. Fire barriers shall include walls and floors as necessary to provide separation from other portions of the building.

does the storage tank happen to meet IFC 2703.9.10 2009 edition, by chance per UL 30?

see footnote "e" table 2703.1.1(1)

cda said:
where are you getting the Class II rating?? do you have the msds for the oil??
I do not actually have the actual MSDS, it was given to me by another person in the office, and I assumed it was correct, based on his past experience.

steveray said:
Look here.......You would need to build control areas, bounded by fire barriers, to get out of the H occupancy....414.2.2 Percentage of maximum allowable quantities. The percentage of maximum allowable quantities of hazardous materials per control area permitted at each floor level within a building shall be in accordance with Table 414.2.2. [F]

TABLE 414.2.2 DESIGN AND NUMBER OF CONTROL AREAS [F]

FLOOR LEVEL PERCENTAGE OF THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE

QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREAa NUMBER OF CONTROL

AREAS PER FLOOR FIRE-RESISTANCE RATING

FOR FIRE BARRIERS IN HOURSb

Above grade plane Higher than 9 5 1 2

7-9 5 2 2

6 12.5 2 2

5 12.5 2 2

4 12.5 2 2

3 50 2 1

2 75 3 1

1 100 4 1

Below grade plane 1 75 3 1

2 50 2 1

Lower than 2 Not Allowed Not Allowed Not Allowed

a. Percentages shall be of the maximum allowable quantity per control area shown in Tables 307.1(1) and 307.1(2), with all increases allowed in the notes to those tables.

b. Fire barriers shall include walls and floors as necessary to provide separation from other portions of the building.
Thanks you, this is my first building with this type of set up, so I had no idea to look for a fire area. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

cda said:
does the storage tank happen to meet IFC 2703.9.10 2009 edition, by chance per UL 30?see footnote "e" table 2703.1.1(1)
cda said:
Wow, a ray of hope! I am now going to request the MSDS from the PM, because III b is obviously a lot better than II. Also, I do not have a lot of MSDS experience, but looking at that PDF, where does it say Class III b? All I see is that it is not considered non-combustible / non-flammable by OSHA.

= + =

cda,

Your link is to the MSDS sheet........Did you have a link

intended for a compliant storage container ?

= + =

cda said:
does the storage tank happen to meet IFC 2703.9.10 2009 edition, by chance per UL 30?see footnote "e" table 2703.1.1(1)
Sorry, I multi-quoted you, but forgot to reply, and there does not seem to be an edit option. Footnote e references a storage cabinet, which we are exploring, but will need approval by the AHJ. The separate room is our back up plan.

north star said:
= + =cda,

Your link is to the MSDS sheet........Did you have a link

intended for a compliant storage container ?

= + =
I think he was just trying to providing me with documentation to show that my assumption that motor oil is class II is perhaps incorrect.

- - - 0 - - -

"Sorry, I multi-quoted you, but forgot to reply, and there does not seem to be an edit option."
1st, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:2nd, ...actually there IS an "Edit Function" available.........Would you like to know where it is ? :grin:

- - - 0 - - -

north star said:
- - - 0 - - -1st, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

2nd, ...actually there IS an "Edit Function" available.........Would you like to know where it is ? :grin:

- - - 0 - - -
Thanks, and PLEASE! It is not in the same locations as the other forums I post at.

= + =

Thanks for your interest !

For the low, low prices of $35.00 per year, or $60.00 for 2

years, ...you too can enjoy the many privileges and benefits of

a becoming registered Sawhorse on THE FINEST building

code forum on the world wide web, ...bar none ! :)

Please send a Private Message [ PM ] to our beloved owner &

Administrator of this Forum [ <---- **jeff546** ] and tell

him that you would like to become a Sawhorse.

= + =

north star said:
= + =

Thanks for your interest !

For the low, low prices of $35.00 per year, or $60.00 for 2

years, ...you too can enjoy the many privileges and benefits of

a becoming registered Sawhorse on THE FINEST building

code forum on the world wide web, ...bar none ! :)

Please send a Private Message [ PM ] to our beloved owner &

Administrator of this Forum [ <---- **jeff546** ] and tell

him that you would like to become a Sawhorse.

= + =
Ah, so there is a catch! So If I don't pay it, everyone will have to deal with my butchering of the english language? Hardly seems fair to everyone else. I will definitely look into it, thanks.

MA_Architect said:
Ah, so there is a catch! So If I don't pay it, everyone will have to deal with my butchering of the english language? Hardly seems fair to everyone else. I will definitely look into it, thanks.
Hay we consult cheaper than anyone!!!!!

No one can beat our prices

= = ( ) = =

Despite what a lot of people believe, or want to believe,

...there are no free lunches in this world.

We just know that a prestigious architect such as yourself

wants to join this very successful & knowledgeable Forum,

...ya know, to increase your prestige and database of

resources.

But seriously, ...you won't find a better or more knowledgeable

codes [ and other ] Forum on the `Net.......This place rocks !! :grin:

= = ( ) = =

Last edited by a moderator: