• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

S-L-O-W website

peach

For a couple of days now.. really slow (and NO, it's not my connection).

Thanks and Happy New Year..

I had the hosting company looking onto it and their tests revealed no problems. I have it on a hosting plan that is at a much higher level than needed and our numbers are great for what we are but still low for the power of the hosting.

I also had the local IT Company look into the issue and they too are coming up empty with finding a problem

Both parties, however have recommended moving this to a dedicated server vs having it on a shared server. The problem with that is money. I cannot afford it and don't want to take donations from members that are not consistent with no guarantees that they will always be there to keep up with the costs over time.

I am considering looking into advertising from construction material vendors such as Simpson to offset the costs. If we charge to be here, it is counter-productive and will take away from the purpose of this board. We want it to be free. I have been supporting this board for over a year and have rejected offers of donations because we are not set up for receiving money as a donation and there would not be any accountability in place.

I know advertising banners were talked about in a negative way but right now, if we want faster, that may be the only option. Also this board is part of my company website and I realized it would be near impossible to hand it over to an organization. At best, the organization would have to create and purchase a new domain name and hosting service, then I would have to link the basic pages to theirs. All of the work with search engines and existing links would be lost and would have to start all over again.

Anyway, this is all a thought only. Until then I will try to find out the problem with the slowness to see if it can be fixed without having to upgrade to a dedicated hosting service. Every upgrade and look into problems has cost me money with the local IT company which I have not had a problem paying. This is not cheap but it is not out of this world expensive either.

jar546 said:
Both parties, however have recommended moving this to a dedicated server vs having it on a shared server.
It maybe who we are "sharing" the server with. Is there a server with less traffic that they can put us on?

I wouldn't hope for much with godaddy. They are a registrar that decided to do hosting on the side.

I completely understand the dollars and cents thing and I think I speak for all of us when I say I am appreciative of the service you have provided for free.

However, it is inevitable that the board will grow, and it certainly won't get faster with increased membership.

There will have to be some sort of revenue generated to support adequate hosting of the website. You simply cannot run a large site on an $8 hosting plan (fictional number).

Someplace like urljet.com (or any one of 100 other providers whose primary purpose is hosting, not registering domains) is, IMHO, where we should be looking to end up.

I wouldn't mind banners to accomplish the task. I am on another site where you can donate through the vB user control panel and it adds "supporting member" below your avatar. The donations of the users keep the board going.

TimNY said:
I wouldn't hope for much with godaddy. They are a registrar that decided to do hosting on the side.I completely understand the dollars and cents thing and I think I speak for all of us when I say I am appreciative of the service you have provided for free.

However, it is inevitable that the board will grow, and it certainly won't get faster with increased membership.

There will have to be some sort of revenue generated to support adequate hosting of the website. You simply cannot run a large site on an $8 hosting plan (fictional number).

Someplace like urljet.com (or any one of 100 other providers whose primary purpose is hosting, not registering domains) is, IMHO, where we should be looking to end up.

I wouldn't mind banners to accomplish the task. I am on another site where you can donate through the vB user control panel and it adds "supporting member" below your avatar. The donations of the users keep the board going.
Thank you for this post.

jar546,

I really appreciate the site. If you need to run banners, ads, whatever I am all for it. I know you don't want to do it, but I know I would be happy (and I think there are others out there) to pay, kick in, donate whatever to keep things going or make them better.

You have the best site of its type on the web, and it connects all of us to quick well thought out answers from seasoned veterans in the field. That is worth a lot to me.

The way it is set up on the other forum is you donate $20 for the "Supporting Member" designation. After a year, the designation expires unless you renew for another $20.

If you had 25 ppl donate each year, you would have ~$40/mo for hosting. If more people donate, you have more money to upgrade to better hosting (if necessary).

I think the only bene I get on the other site for donating is my inbox will hold more PMs. It's not really about purchasing a better product, but rather supporting a worthwhile site.

I think most of the "original members" of this forum have offered to pick up some of the cost... I hate banners and things you click by mistake..

Let us know what you need and we'll have a little "forum fund raiser"... it's been much faster.. whatever they fixed.. they didn't break!

c'mon.. I would pay to put a banner up for "strap netting" just to see what you guys post.

Seriously, I agree banners would be the least appealing method but my main concern is the board be provided with all the resources it needs to grow and operating properly. If we can do that via donation or some other non-commercial method, that's great. If not, I would rather see the board grow versus suffer with slow load times because of anti-commercial sentiment.

I will look into and investigate the costs involved with a dedicated server. If we can make the moves with a donation method and it works then great. If not then I can always add banners down the road if donations fail.

thanks.. I'll send you my accumulated wealth (currently .12) for the dedicated server. :) Just kidding.. it's at least twice that.