• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sad Day In Philadelphia

electriclese

Bronze Member
(CNN) -*An inspector who had some involvement with the building that collapsed last week in Philadelphia has committed suicide, a source with knowledge of the matter told CNN.

I read this earlier this morning. It seems implied that a possible motive for this man's suicide was remorse for not having caught something that resulted in the death of others. I am not saying this applies in this case, but have paused to consider how would any of us react to a situation where a "miss" by us resulted directly in death . . . not theoreticaly, but in a in your face fact kind of way.

Globe this is part of the mantle we all carry if we really care. We don't get paid for it but it haunts those who really try to do the best they can. Not making a judgment, but being close to the area I believe that things have been left a little loose in Philly. They are now reviewing there procedures. The investigation should show just what took place.

RJJ said:
Globe this is part of the mantle we all carry if we really care. We don't get paid for it but it haunts those who really try to do the best they can. Not making a judgment, but being close to the area I believe that things have been left a little loose in Philly. They are now reviewing there procedures. The investigation should show just what took place.
Great post!

My thoughts a prayers go out to this inspectors family and all those impacted by this. No way do I see any inspector feeling they should be at fault for something like this unless they do something they know is going to hurt someone. I was a super on a project where someone fell and lost his life. Seeing his wife and three young kids at his funeral is something that will stick with me forever. I had a tough time dealing with the "what could I have done" for long time. I guess it's human nature for most people, or at least I would like to think so. Anyway, you all buy into the real possability that someone could get hurt or die in a building we built or inspect. God forbid any of us ever have to be in that situation but if are, i hope we all seek help from others should we ever think like this inspector thought before he took his own life.

If you haven't noticed I'm a contractor that works in buildings occupied by the public. The reason I come here is I realize that what I do for a living has a direct impact on people's safety. This is another way that I can become more "educated" about public safety, learning from others. I've mentioned in other posts about the importance of contractors and building officials working as a team. Neither of us can do it alone.

I've worked in Philly twice and I'll never do it again. The second most difficult building dept I've ever worked with. They are opposite of team players and caught up in the government way of doing things.