• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Safe Dispersal Area

IMHO

The article adequately addresses the code. But IMO the photo does not show a "safe dispersal area".

I'll see if I can find a better photo...I couldn't find one that specifically showed a safe dispersal area, so I went with one that shows a fence.
fetch

Close, maybe not 50 feet from the building,

There are instances where the path of travel to the public way is not safe or not achievable due to site constraints or security concerns. The provisions in this section specify what would constitute a safe area to allow occupants of a building to assemble in an emergency. The 5 square feet (0.28 m2) would allow adequate space for standing persons as well as some space for persons in wheelchairs or on stretchers. Everyone who is expected to wait in this area for fire department assistance must be a minimum of 50 feet (15 240 mm) away from the building. This refuge must always remain open and not be used for parking, storage or temporary structures.

Maybe a school playground ?

We do safe dispersal areas at almost all public schools. Most K-12 campuses these days have a secured perimeter to keep in kids and keep out the drug dealers and kidnappers... sign o' the times.

Key points:

50' from any building, for schools

Don't overlap with fire apparatus access roads

Play yards, fields and large courtyards are the easiest places to find code compliant dispersal area.