• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Saferoom?

Jobsaver

Central Arkansas (pop. 30,000 - near Little rock)
I am interested in proposing a code amendment that defines and regulates the use of the term "Saferoom" in tornado prone areas. I am seeing too many "saferooms" that are not being constructed to Fema or other standards. For example, check out this "saferoom door" I stumbled into yesterday, a standard residential flush steel door in a wood jamb having three holes for deadbolts;

View attachment 1861

, and sign out front; View attachment 1862

.I believe any safer room or place built into a house is better than nothing, but a false sense of security instilled may be more dangerous than nothing at all. Comments or suggestions?View attachment 1861

View attachment 1862

/monthly_2013_07/572953eb108ec_photosaferoom.jpg.a28b5e30543ebb1583d42341db098935.jpg

/monthly_2013_07/572953eb144ac_photosaferoom2.jpg.597f9afe334f9c3c00bc0ce73f8e2450.jpg

Both the 2012 IBC and 2012 IRC have provisions for storm shelters to comply with ICC-500, which is "ICC/NSSA Standard on the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters". It looks like it was added to the IBC in 2009; not sure about the IRC.

What is the intended purpose of the "saferoom"? Many are used as refuges that the occupants can retreat to when an intruder enters the home. Thus, the only requirement is to be resistant from forced entry.

What we do not need is another code/standard. Use or modify the existing.

It's like the accessibility codes, thinks they know best and we end up with a mess.

Codify and enforce the existing......

RLGA said:
What is the intended purpose of the "saferoom"? Many are used as refuges that the occupants can retreat to when an intruder enters the home. Thus, the only requirement is to be resistant from forced entry.
In tornado prone areas, people most often identify the term "saferoom" with a safe place to be in the event of a tornado. Uses of the room as a intruder proof room, a gun safe, etc. are considered secondary uses to the primary use as a tornado shelter. The implication of advertising a new home in Arkansas with a "Saferoom" is that it is commonly construed as meaning offering a home having a room built to a standard that will withstand the severe forces of a tornado to the extent that the occupants of that room will not be harmed. We have many safeguards in our state to provide early warnings in the likely or actual event of tornadic activity, all of which are designed to forewarn occupants so that they may find refuge in the safest place they can get to . . . the actual tornado shelter or "saferoom" being considered one of the best refuges. In my own neighborhood, for example, I have a small congregation of neighbors that, in the event of tornadic activity, will seek refuge in the saferoom I built a few years ago in my home.

Perhaps what we need in Arkansas is an educational campaign differentiating the term saferoom from storm shelter so homebuyers will better understand what they are or are not buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jobsaver said:
Perhaps what we need in Arkansas is an educational campaign differentiating the term saferoom from storm shelter so homebuyers will better understand what they are or are not buying.
That is probably the best solution. Plus, homebuilders should clearly indicate in the purchase agreement--and verbally inform the prospective homeowner--that a "saferoom" is not designed to "storm shelter" standards.

Jobsaver: the link didn't work for me, but I did find the information. According to FEMA P-320, which appears to be their guidelines for residential "Safe Rooms," a safe room should conform to ICC-500. Therefore, if the advertised safe room does not meet ICC-500, then it should not be called or advertised as a "safe room." I think there could be a false advertising claim by using the FEMA and ICC standards as evidence if the advertised safe room does not conform.