• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sales and Service counters

Oscar

When designing for a new grab and go coffee counter, can the sales (point of sales) be the same as the service counter if designed at 60" long at 34" high? Or would the two have to be at different locations?

"Advisory 227.3 Counters. Types of counters that provide different services in the same
facility include, but are not limited to, order, pick-up, express, and returns. One continuous
counter can be used to provide different types of service. For example, order and pick-up
are different services. It would not be acceptable to provide access only to the part of the
counter where orders are taken when orders are picked-up at a different location on the
same counter. Both the order and pick-up section of the counter must be accessible"

I am clear that if the order and pick up are at different locations then both counters need to be compliant. However I cannot find anything that says that they can be at the same location.

You may have one continuous counter if you choose but it must be 34" max with compliant reach ranges.

Thank you GPE, I loved the convenience of the rail from the airport to downtown and Peachtree Center by Portman. It does get a bit dicey downtown at night though.