• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

SciFy and fantasy novels

gbhammer

Platinum Member
I recommended the “Slayer” series because it is a series of War Hammer novels, and are at best pulp fiction, they are easy and fun to read. If he liked Heinlein then get him all of his books, they are by far the best of the pulp fiction esque novels. There are so many great books and authors and so little time to read. :banghd

We are thankful to have a really good public library (a library science department at the university and high local taxes are the reason) which has nearly all Heinlein's novels - just read "Friday" wherein he accurately predicts the use of computers to erode privacy (back in 1982). It has a real sort of cyberpunk vibe.

I reread 30 or 40 Heinlein novels every couple of years. Once I pick one up I can't stop until I have read them all.

A couple of years ago, I picked up "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" for my son.

He wasn't ready for that level of book, but I reread it.

That started me reading SF again for the first time since I was in my teens. There's a lot I missed over twenty-five years (Card among them), and a lot I missed from the 1960's - Phillip K. Dick, Roger Zelazny, Clifford Simak, etc. It's amazing how much more I appreciate now that I am older - "The Martian Chronicles" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" were enormously dull as a teen, but compelling as an adult.

Try "Old Man's War" it is a science fiction novel by John Scalzi. It is more mature than Starship Troopers so please don't just give it to your son until you have read it first.

A couple of years ago, I picked up "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" for my son.He wasn't ready for that level of book, but I reread it.

That started me reading SF again for the first time since I was in my teens. There's a lot I missed over twenty-five years (Card among them), and a lot I missed from the 1960's - Phillip K. Dick, Roger Zelazny, Clifford Simak, etc. It's amazing how much more I appreciate now that I am older - "The Martian Chronicles" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" were enormously dull as a teen, but compelling as an adult.

Try "Old Man's War" it is a science fiction novel by John Scalzi. It is more mature than Starship Troopers so please don't just give it to your son until you have read it first.
Phillip Dick inspired a lot of my bar napkin design charrette solutions in college over a midnight pint at the tavern. Do androids dream of sheep and a scanner darkly are probably two of the most impactful movies on my thought process. Every once in awhile we talk an independent theater into running some of the movies influenced by his work. Blade Runner on the big screen is still one of my favorites.

I found this interesting on Heinlein:

In the introduction to the 1980 short story collection The Golden Man, Dick wrote:

"Several years ago, when I was ill, Heinlein offered his help, anything he could do, and we had never met; he would phone me to cheer me up and see how I was doing. He wanted to buy me an electric typewriter, God bless him—one of the few true gentlemen in this world. I don't agree with any ideas he puts forth in his writing, but that is neither here nor there. One time when I owed the IRS a lot of money and couldn't raise it, Heinlein loaned the money to me. I think a great deal of him and his wife; I dedicated a book to them in appreciation. Robert Heinlein is a fine-looking man, very impressive and very military in stance; you can tell he has a military background, even to the haircut. He knows I'm a flipped-out freak and still he helped me and my wife when we were in trouble. That is the best in humanity, there; that is who and what I love."

To date, I find William Gibson and Phillip Dick's socio-technological landscapes the most compelling.

gbhammer said:
A couple of years ago, I picked up "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" for my son. He wasn't ready for that level of book, but I reread it. That started me reading SF again for the first time since I was in my teens. There's a lot I missed over twenty-five years (Card among them), and a lot I missed from the 1960's - Phillip K. Dick, Roger Zelazny, Clifford Simak, etc. It's amazing how much more I appreciate now that I am older - "The Martian Chronicles" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" were enormously dull as a teen, but compelling as an adult. Try "Old Man's War" it is a science fiction novel by John Scalzi. It is more mature than Starship Troopers so please don't just give it to your son until you have read it first.
I just read "Old Man's War" and then "Ghost Brigades" last month. Enjoyed both - We have a great public library. Have you read "Forever War" by Joe Haldeman (Highly recommended, as is "Forever Peace" which he wrote twenty years later).

brudgers said:
I just read "Old Man's War" and then "Ghost Brigades" last month. Enjoyed both - We have a great public library. Have you read "Forever War" by Joe Haldeman (Highly recommended, as is "Forever Peace" which he wrote twenty years later).
Not yet, but I will if you say their good.

Have you tried World War Z?

Scalzi give props to both "Forever War" and "Starship Troopers" at the front of "Old Man's War."

beach said:
I always liked Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle(sp?) that was thirty years ago.....
So you read "Ringworld", but not the new stuff with Luis Wu. "Ringworld Engineers" was great.

Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers was one of my favorites! I haven't read sci-fi in years....

Hitchikers guide to the galaxy, Inferno (loosely based on Dantes Inferno)...... loved those too

If you were reading those books in the eighties then maybe you read Anne McCaffery, Peirs Anthony, L. Ron Hubbard... so many books aaah

Kearney.200 said:
Try the last centurion by John Ringo one of my faves and of course there is always the Dresden Files
Have you read the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher? He is my new fav.

Thanks for all the great recommendations...what a walk down memory lane. I just got back from the library with a 'fantastic voyage.'

For Christmas I got $50 in gift cards to Barnes & Nobel, so after yesterday I took a trip to the bookstore and for the love of God they were closed. AHHHHH very very upsetting.

Watched "IN Time" last night and loved the whole concept. I had never seen anything quite like it in all the books I have read. So I looked up the movie to see if the idea came from a book, and found this in Wikipedia:

On September 15, 2011, according to The Hollywood Reporter, a suit was filed by attorneys on behalf of speculative fiction writer Harlan Ellison that the plot of the movie was based on his award-winning 1965 short-story, ""Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman". The suit, naming New Regency and director Andrew Niccol as well as a number of anonymous John Does, appears to base its claim on the similarity that both the completed film along with Ellison's story concern a dystopian future in which people have a set amount of time to live which can be revoked, given certain pertaining circumstances by a recognized authority known as a Timekeeper. Initially, the suit demanded an injunction against the film's release;[4] however, Ellison later altered his suit to instead ask for screen credit[5] before ultimately dropping the suit, with both sides releasing the following joint statement: "After seeing the film In Time, Harlan Ellison decided to voluntarily dismiss the Action. No payment or screen credit was promised or given to Harlan Ellison. The parties wish each other well, and have no further comment on the matter."

Has anyone read "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman"?

"Has anyone read "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman"?"

Sorry, I haven't. But after your story I am intrigued. I might have to find one to read.

Wikipedia knows a little bit about the book and the plagiarism suit.

gbhammer said:
Has anyone read "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman"?
Nope. Haven't, but will ask my pops and see if he ever came across it. Currently reading The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. So far a great and intense sci-fi thriller.