• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Second floor washing machine in residential house. Is floor drain or floor pan required?

No Soup for you

I would highly recommend it but..........
I cannot find the answer to this.
My associate here is requiring it but I cannot find it in the plumbing code.
I am in NY
Am I missing it somewhere?????????

Is it shown on a set of approved plans? The only other possibility that comes to mind is the manufacturer's installation instructions.....but that seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Ice....

No , not shown on submitted drawings, my associate is requiring it on a residential multi-million dollar home.
I was telling him its not in the code but he insists its there somewhere, he remembers it from years ago. HAHAHA
He cant find it either but he is still going to try and require it.
Although I do believe it to be a smart idea.

Washing machine drain pans are not required by most building/plumbing codes, but some Cities, housing programs, or insurance companies require them.

my associate is requiring it on a residential multi-million dollar home.
I have seen it done on tract housing…those builders would leave out doorknobs if they could get away with it. As Mark Handler stated, some insurance companies require it. So there’s two groups of miserly bean counters that consider it worthy.

Lend your associate a hand.