• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Secondary Fire Water Source On-Site?

mcodehead

I'm looking at a commercial mixed use development with about 16 buildings on the campus. Most are 4 stories, 5 max. The Fire Protection system is a site/campus wide system with a cistern, 2 fire pumps, Fire Mains and Hydrants which supply the fire sprinklers and risers to most of the buildings. The proposal is to build a couple of 10 story high-rise buildings on this development. As this is a seismic area, the code requires a secondary source of fire supply on-site. The designer is proposing to add another cistern and fire pump to feed the campus wide system from a second , remote location; thus providing the secondary supply of water for fire protection system.

First, what does on-site supply mean in the IBC and IFC?
How far away from a specific building can the secondary source be?
Can multiple buildings (i.e. on the same block, lot) be fed from the same two(2) fire water sources?
Has anyone dealt with a commercial campus fire protection system; similar to a small city or government hub?
Does the second source of water need to be actually in or on the building?

Welcome

For room and board, and one way ticket, I would be glad to come advise you.

You need a Fire Protection Engineer, that has done similar projects.

The money spent will save you money, time and headaches

Once you go high rise you are in a different code realm

As far as distance to supply, as long as it can hit fire flow needed, should not be a problem.