• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Section 1029 EERO's again.

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
Could anyone explain to me why EERO's are not required by the 2012 IBC for R-1 occupancies? The 2009 IBC required them for the third floor and below referring to R occupancies but the 2012 IBC specifies R-2 & R-3, omitting R-1's.

TIA

Bill

It's probably because they could be omitted in sprinklered buildings, and states are more likely to amend R-2 or R-3 out of the sprinkler requirement than R-1.

For some reason I can't open My 2003 IBC (sure it was there too) but this is from 2006

Then in SECTION 1026 EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE Exceptions:

1. In other than Group R-3 occupancies, buildings equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.

Architect1281 said:
For some reason I can't open My 2003 IBC (sure it was there too) but this is from 2006Then in SECTION 1026 EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE Exceptions:

1. In other than Group R-3 occupancies, buildings equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.
It was the same in the 2003.... I beleive the 2006 using clearer text to make the poiint, the 2003 was a little ambiguous.

Thanks folks! I think it's becoming clearer. The exception for sprinklers is not in the 2012 code at all. By the 2012 code EERO's are not required in R-1's, at all, but are required in some R-2's with one exit and all R-3's.

Does that make sense?

Bill