• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Section D ICC Board

Min&Max

Silver Member
So I, Steve Nordhues, am trespassing on Jims' space here in hopes of being elected to the ICC board in Richmond, so apologies to all offended. I am seeking the Section D position being vacated by Jerry Mallory. Some of you may recall that I ran for a board position in Portland in 2012 which was a great learning experience. Since then I have participated with the IGCC committee and am currently on the Building Officials Membership Committee. I have also been very active with our state chapter, celebrating its 50th year as an ICC member, and the state legislative process as it concerns our industry. While in pursuit of the Section D position I have recently participated in two interview processes with a third coming up on 8/31/18. I would have to say that I am not at all happy with my responses to several of the questions. In hopes to somewhat redeem myself for what I consider poor articulation of answers to important questions, I would ask your indulgence. So first up, why do I want to be an ICC board member? You would think this to be a very easy question to answer but no, this was probably my worst response. So here it is, A). I am concerned about our industry, not only from an inspectors vantage point but also from the contractors and homeowners/building occupants. Our basic code is a fantastic document that ensures safe, well-built structures(homes/businesses). Unfortunately we have entities that perceive our code adoption process to be a marketing opportunity where they only have to convince those in the room that the health, safety and welfare of everyone in the country is dependent on the vote going their way, B). I can be absolutely relentless if a problem arises and a path of action is identified. I always, always work until the problem is solved, C). I am first and foremost a member advocate. ICC is an organization that exists to make the built environment safe and no one understands that better than our members.

Have to go for now, but there are a couple more things I need to clarify. Please comment, throw stones or whatever. Above all do not hold back. I want to hear the good, bad and ugly.

Steve, no offence at all as this is an open forum and all are welcome. Best of luck to you with your campaign to be elected to the ICC board!

Ok, second question that I believe I completely missed the mark, what would I do as an ICC board member to help those areas that have problems that are unique to themselves? So my response went in the direction that I have discussed with other code officials in the past. I have always found it amusing that no matter where you are located people are the same as basically everywhere else. Who doesn't have the contractor that does excellent work but has no use for inspectors? How about the likable contractor who does crappy work? How about the new contractor that wants to do it right and asks you questions--lots and lots of questions? So that is the shot I took and not only missed the bullseye but left the paper intact. I believe the proper direction was geography/location based. So here is my amended answer. I need more info on what you believe makes your location unique because almost all areas have problems to resolve that are unique unto themselves. As an organization, ICC cannot be the problem solver for situations that may not go beyond a small geographic area. Sometimes we have to identify and resolve our own problems.

Well that's it for today. Thank you all for reading and hopefully responding. Your input is critical to ICC as an organization and to myself as a candidate for the ICC board.