• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Seeking Advice on Construction Security Guards

ameliasolis

Hello everyone,

I'm currently exploring the possibility of hiring security guards for a construction project I'm overseeing,

I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with.

Firstly, for those of you who have hired security guards for construction sites in the past, what criteria did you use to select the right security company or individuals?

Secondly, what are some common challenges or issues you've faced when working with
construction security guards, and how did you address them?

Find a companyvwith proven experience in that area. Don’t hire the cheapie who says “i’ll put my best man on it”.

I'm currently exploring the possibility of hiring security guards for a construction project I'm overseeing,
I’d start by specifically identifying why you think you need security guards and identify your expectations. For example, if you are concerned about after-hours theft will it be OK for them to drive by several times a night or do you want someone on site all night? Will it be OK for them to set up cameras and only come to the site if they see someone approaching the fence? Maybe you want to not put up a fence and put that money towards towards security who will be on site 24/7? If you are concerned about curious neighbors squeezing through a fence maybe you just need to make sure the fence is secure, I was working on a site where they gave me the combination to the gate lock but I didn’t need it, I just easily squeezed through the gap between the gate and the post to which it was chained! On another job for an interior renovation I was on site and this guy is walking around in the building picking up aluminum cans, I asked who that was, workers on the site said, “Oh, some homeless guy, he asked if he could collect aluminum cans and we told him it was OK.” I politely went up to the guy and explained my concerns about liability and asked him not to come back, he was OK with that but a little bothered that the workers first told him it was OK - at least this guy asked for permission but he asked the wrong people. So maybe you want security to control who enters the site during the day so workers don’t have to manage that. After identifying your needs and expectations you can then see if the prospective security company is qualified to provide such services.