• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Self-Closing Restroom Doors

LGreene

I know I've seen some Board of Health requirements about bathrooms requiring self-closing doors, but I'm having a hard time finding it except as applicable to restaurants. Do any of you know where I can find requirements for doors to single toilets in general?

Only for toilet compartments:

604.9.3 Doors. Toilet compartment doors, including door hardware, shall comply with Section 404, except if the approach is to the latch side of the compartment door clearance between the door side of the stall and any obstruction shall be 42 inches (1065 mm) minimum. The door shall be self-closing. A door pull complying with Section 404.2.6 shall be placed on both sides of the door near the latch. Toilet compartment doors shall not swing into the required minimum area of the compartment.