• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Separate Fire Sprinkler Systems in Mixed-Use Building

Bwana

Remodel of large nationwide retail store - M-Occupancy. There are six attached separate small businesses - B-Occupancies. Retailer doesn't want to share fire protection. Wants to alter existing eight inch riser and send a six inch overhead through a CMU wall to a separate, second riser/independent sprinkler system to serve the smaller businesses. CMU is not a fire wall. This is one building. I thought that a fully sprinklered building had to be served by one sprinkler system unless a fire wall separated the areas served. I am unable to find code to support that. Was I just dreaming?

Thank you mtlogcabin for your response. It is an existing system throughout the building. Its just that the primary anchor business (similar to Target) wants to have independent fire sprinkler/alarm systems - even though its one building.

I can not think of any code section that would prevent separate zones for sprinkler systems i have on building with 5 floors and 85 zones, and another building with one floor and 3 zones. more examples. You are suppose to have all sprinkler zones fed wiht one FDC per building.

Typically the entire building's sprinkler system must be designed based on the most restrictive provisions.
You need to talk with the local Fire Marshal or Fire Plan checker.

I can not think of any code section that would prevent separate zones for sprinkler systems i have on building with 5 floors and 85 zones, and another building with one floor and 3 zones. more examples. You are suppose to have all sprinkler zones fed wiht one FDC per buil
I believe you'll find a max of 52,000 sq Ft per floor max per zone for 1 floor for Light or Ordinary Hazard as a general rule for NFPA 13
Question is WHY the decision to subdivide the sprinkler design?