• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Separated Mixed Use (hybrid?)

Phil C

Putting a small Assembly-2 in an existing mixed use building. Fire Marshal suggested adding a 2hr fire rated wall and floor/ceiling between the A-2 and rest of building (originally thought to be Business use) to create a separated mixed use. However, the building has residential units on the 3rd floor. Exploring the idea that it could be a hybrid separated/non separated mixed use. Separating out the small A-2 with a 2 hour fire rated wall and floor/ceiling, or potentially it's own fire area. Then keeping the rest of the building non separated mixed use (Business and Residential). I was wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar and has a suggestion? (2015 IBC)

I do it all the time. You have to consider the nonseparated area as a single occupancy based on the most restrictive occupancy group. Then perform your allowable area calculations using the sum of ratios for Group A-2 and either Group B or Group R-2, depending on which is most restrictive for the type of construction.

I do it all the time. You have to consider the nonseparated area as a single occupancy based on the most restrictive occupancy group. Then perform your allowable area calculations using the sum of ratios for Group A-2 and either Group B or Group R-2, depending on which is most restrictive for the type of construction.
Thanks!