• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

SEPARATION between Nursing Home and Hospital

Vlab20

Bronze Member
I have a 3-story building Type 1B. It houses hospital (I-2) on floors 1 and 2 and Nursing Home (I-2) on the 3rd floor. We are downsizing the Nursing Home and are moving hospital space to a portion of the 3rd floor. I am trying to find if a SEPARATION is required between the two I-2 occupancies. There does NOT appear to be a fire separation from I-2 to I-2 but...when designing a ambulatory surgery center (Business occupancy) next to a medical clinic (Business Occupancy) NFPA 101 requires a 1-hour occupancy separation between the two. I am wondering if something similar is in place for a Nursing Home / Hospital.

The hospital and Nursing Home have 2 different CMS billing numbers. Thoughts???

If you have two different CMS classifications, one being a health care occupancy, you may need a two hour separation per NFPA 101.

Coug Dad said:
If you have two different CMS classifications, one being a health care occupancy, you may need a two hour separation per NFPA 101.
I may have two different CMS billing numbers but both designations are I-2 occupancies. I did find NFPA 101 Section 18.1.1.4.4

18.1.1.4.4 / 19.1.1.4.4 Changes of Occupancy

Changes of occupancy shall comply with 4.6.11. A change from one health care occupancy subclassification to another shall require compliance with the requirements for new construction.

Exception #1 A change from a hospital to a nursing home or from a nursing home to a hospital shall not be considered a change in occupancy or occupancy subclassification.

Exception #2 A change from a hospital or nursing home to a limited care facility shall not be considered a change in occupancy or occupancy subclassification.

That being said my building is existing it was built as a Type 1B. I am changing a portion of the current Nursing Home to a Hospital, The Exceptions tell me I don't have to meet the requirements of 4.6.11.

This is the only references I can find for separation issues between a Nursing Home and a Hospital.

I had a discussion with the State inspector of Nursing Homes and the State inspector of Hospitals and both agreed that a physical separation is not required but that a privacy separation may be adviseable.