• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Separation Of A Single Building

globe trekker

I have an existing building, approx. 5,500 sq. ft. in size. An existing dentist wants to completely

separate the building into two separate buildings and then bring in another dentist in to the

newly created part. Kinda like a zero lot line set-up. This existing building IS located within

a designated floodplain.

I would like to get input on the various code sections & NEC articles that would apply. I have

started a list from the NEC, IPC and the IBC. The mechanicals are obvious. No plans have

been submitted. The existing dentist is fishing for information on what is actually required.

The dentist moving in WILL have anesthetizing capabilities, so I'm all over Article 517 & 700.

What say ye? :)

Re: Separation Of A Single Building

mtlogcabin said:
Don't forget IFC 3006
Are they selling that at the projected inflationary cost? About $1,000,000.00 :lol:

Tell the dentist it would be in his best interest hire a design professional, he's going to need one any way. Don't be placed into a situation when that does happen, the dentist can't say the building inspector said .... But, remain helpful.

Two separate buildings means structural independence and a fire wall, not just a wall built in the middle. Cutting and pouring a footing in the middle to support the independent loads of the fire wall is very disruptive to the building, and the roof trusses could not be shared. Besides the MP&E issues, I believe the structural issues would be the limiting factos.

Don't forget the flood plain restrictions. That is all I'm going to say, I don't want to get off topic.

I don't think that's off topic at all. The OP noted it's in a flooplain. If it's an older building (or constructed prior to current NFIP maps), it may mean significant retrofitting - it would be for intents and purposes, be two new buildings in many respects.

globe trekker said:
An existing dentist wants to completely

separate the building into two separate buildings

You might want to take a look at 240.24(A) and (B).

Much thanks to you all for your input!

All of what you have listed IS applicable and to be considered in my case. I DID compile a list of code

sections [ I-codes and the NEC ] that I could think of.

Two dentists are looking at an older building and definitely want the two "legally separate" buildings set-up.

They just have no idea of what all is required to accomplish what they are asking. Fortunately, [ and like

most dentists ], they have plenty of money. :D