• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Separation Requirement Between Business and Storage

Scott F

We are currently in the process of preparing permit documents for a new metal building intended for business use, non-sprinklered. The building will serve as a work office (primary purpose) for a General Contractor. The front 1/3rd of the facility will be dedicated to open office space, while the remaining area will be used for general storage. The Florida Building Code, specifically Table 508.4, states that there should be no separation required between Business and S1 or S2 Storage. However, according to NFPA Table 6.1.14.4.1(b), it is necessary to have a 2-hour separation between the two spaces. Before presenting this situation to our local building officials, I would like to receive input from the community on this matter. The floor plan is attached for reference.

Attachments

• A1 Floor Plan and Interior Elevations 10-4-2023.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Welcome to THE Forum! Not a Florida guy but we would use ICC....That table in NFPA 101 says when occupancies "need" to be separated, this is what you do.....

Thank you, appreciate that. Happy to be here.

We will continue developing without the requirement for separation, unless another portion of the code mandates it, which I haven't discovered.

& ~ &

Scott F, ...Also a Welcome to the Building Codes Forum !

There may or may not be a separation requirement, if there
are any hazardous materials that will be stored in there.
Storing petroleum products over the allowable limit might
require a rated separation.

The Forum owner is one of our OnSite Florida Codes
person..........You could send him a Private Message ( PM )
and ask for guidance.

Also, ...which Code \ Standard takes precedence, the FBC
or the NFPA Codes ?

FWIW, ...
** jar546 ** is the Forum owner !

& ~ &

& ~ &

Scott F, ...Also a Welcome to the Building Codes Forum !

There may or may not be a separation requirement, if there
are any hazardous materials that will be stored in there.
Storing petroleum products over the allowable limit might
require a rated separation.

The Forum owner is one of our OnSite Florida Codes
person..........You could send him a Private Message ( PM )
and ask for guidance.

Also, ...which Code \ Standard takes precedence, the FBC
or the NFPA Codes ?

FWIW, ...
** jar546 ** is the Forum owner !

& ~ &
Based on my understanding, the code that is the most restrictive should be chosen.

Florida must have changed the table, because IBC 2021 calls for a 1-hour separation between B and S-2 in a sprinklered building, and 2-hours if unsprinklered.

Yes, it would appear that you are interpreting it incorrectly. Start with F-2, S-2 and U on the left column. Read across to the columns under B, F-1, M and S-1. What I see is 1-hour under S (sprinklered) and 2-hour under NS (non-sprinklered).

B to S-1 has no rating required.

So much will depend on what is to be stored in the warehouse. The traditional working definition in this corner of the universe has been that low-hazard storage (S-2) is storing iron ingots in steel pails filled with water. Anything more flammable than that is moderate hazard (S-1), if not H.

That is, of course, somewhat facetious. The intent of expressing it that way is to encourage code officials (building officials and fire marshals alike) to take a hard look when someone says they want to do a low-hazard occupancy. In a warehouse, you have to take into account not only the objects to be stored, but also their packaging.

Keep in mind that those separations apply only if you declare the different uses as separated. You have the option of treating the entire building as non-separated mixed uses. (IBC 508.3)

It's almost always S1....

I agree. Paradoxically, in the case of B to S-2, the B is the higher [fire] hazard occupancy, so you're actually protecting the S-2 from the B rather than protecting the B from the S-2. But a 3,200 s.f. building should be small enough to be treated as non-separated mixed uses, in which case any questions disappear.

I agree. Paradoxically, in the case of B to S-2, the B is the higher [fire] hazard occupancy, so you're actually protecting the S-2 from the B rather than protecting the B from the S-2. But a 3,200 s.f. building should be small enough to be treated as non-separated mixed uses, in which case any questions disappear.
Where in the code would I find the non-separated mixed use requirements?

Where I pointed you.

Keep in mind that those separations apply only if you declare the different uses as separated. You have the option of treating the entire building as non-separated mixed uses. (IBC 508.3)

508.2 Accessory occupancies. Accessory occupancies are those occupancies that are ancillary to the main occupancy of the building or portion thereof. Accessory occupancies shall comply with the provisions of Sections 508.2.1 through 508.2.4.

508.2.1 Occupancy classification. Accessory occupancies shall be individually classified in accordance with Section 302.1. The requirements of this code shall apply to each portion of the building based on the occupancy classification of that space.

311.1 Storage Group S. Storage Group S occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for storage that is not classified as a hazardous occupancy.

311.1.1 Accessory storage spaces. A room or space used for storage purposes that is accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as part of that occupancy.